It’s that time of the year when the weather is cold and bitter and you just want to stay snuggled under a blanket. My family loves being outdoors but when temps drop it makes it a bit difficult. We’ll bundle up and go outside for a bit (until our faces are numb) and then it’s time to hang indoors.
We’ve had a lot of snow over the last few days, so I needed to find things to keep my boys occupied indoors, otherwise they would go stir crazy and start fighting with each other. You know how that goes!
I’ve put together a list of fun activities the whole family can enjoy indoors to keep warm:
- Create a sandbox: Instead of using sand, use rice!
- Bubble gum contest: Who will be the champion?
- Play indoor volleyball-oon: Key is using balloons, so no one gets hurt.
- Make forts: One of our personal favorites.
- DIY Star Wars soap: This is such a cool idea!
- Have an indoor picnic; grab some blankets, food, and have a picnic in the living room.
- Salt dough magnets: These would make a great homemade gift.
- Work on a family bucket list: go around and have everyone add an item to the list.
- Icicle craft: Crafty kids will love this one.
- Homemade playdough: This one, won’t dry out.
- Body trace: All you need is a big sheet of paper, a marker, and a body.
- DIY spinning top game boards: Turn bottle caps you’ve collected into super fun spinning tops
- Snow day schedule for kids: For everyone’s sanity pull together a snow schedule.
- DIY door knob hanger for kids: Let your kids create their own door knob hanger.
- Scented glow-in-the-dark slime: It’s stinky. It’s messy. But the kids love it!
- Inside Out memory game: My boys’ favorite game!
- DIY Marshmallow finger paints: Ooey gooey fun!
- Family conversational starters: Get the family talking with this fun activity.
- Laundry basket skee ball: If it includes balls, my boys are all over it.
- Winter sensory bin: A few simple supplies will keep the kids busy with this activity.
- Laundry busy bag: Very simple DIY project.
- Organize the house: Ok this might not sound fun, but why not make a game out of it?
- Toilet paper tube cable cars: The activity that they can make on their own!
- Science experiments: Bubbly explosion, cold pop challenge, and more.
- Movie marathon: Grab some popcorn, cozy up on the couch, and have a movie day (or night)