As summer is coming to a close, I’m starting to panic about how crazy our fall schedule is. My youngest will be involved with travel soccer and baseball. My oldest will be playing basketball and they both participate in Jiu Jitsu. Between activities, school work, and getting prepared for the next day, weekday nights are pretty crazy.
Getting dinner on the table is not always easy. There are some nights where I’m super prepared and others where the task of making dinner seems so daunting.
Here’s the thing I’ve learned. Meals don’t have to be complex. It can be super easy like grilled cheese and soup or pancakes (my boys love breakfast for dinner).
3 tips for weeknight meals:
#1. Plan ahead. I try to put together a dinner list on Sundays so I know what I’m making each night. When the kids get on the bus, I’ll take 15 minutes and prepare dinner (take meat out, throw something in the crock pot, etc).
#2. Make double batch. I have found this to be super helpful. I’ll make dinner one night and split it into two meals (for example, make chicken and veggies and put some chicken aside for chicken sandwiches the next night).
#3 Eat early. My boys are always starving when they get home from school. Since we usually only have about 2 hours from the time the kids get home until they need to be on the field, I like to have dinner ready early so my boys can eat when they finish up their homework. Then when we get home from sports, they can have a quick snack (fruit, yogurt, cereal, etc) before bed.
In the morning, I really try to whip up a crock pot meal or prep dinner so all I have to do is pop it into the oven. I’m always so glad when I do this, because when the boys come home it’s like a tornado hit the house!
I’ve rounded up some really easy dinner ideas for busy nights. Make sure to bookmark this!
Oven and Stove Top Recipes:
- Easy Bake Chicken Cacciatore | The Kitchen is my Playground
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole | Cincy Shopper
- Tuna Noodle Casserole | Quirky Inspired
- Pepperoni & Tomato Macaroni Dinner | Mom’s Messy Miracles
- Homemade Pizza Pockets | Simply Shellie
- Sausage, Potato and Green Bean Foil Packs | Damn Delicious
- Pasta with Spinach and Sausage | Life Without Pink
- Ritz Chicken Nuggets | Coffee With Us 3
- Crescent Calzone | Arts & Crackers
- One Pot Cheesy Chicken Pepperoni | Quirky Inspired
- Pasta With Sweet Italian Sausage and Spring Peas | The Shady Lane
- BBQ Pork Tacos | Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cheesy Chicken and Rice | Life Without Pink
- Simple Homemade Pretzel Dogs | The Slow Roasted Italian
- Easy Cheeseburger Slides | Better Recipes
- Turkey Chili | Life Without Pink
- Muffin Tin Spaghetti Nests | Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Mini Lasagna Cups | Damn Delicious
- Easy Hot Turkey Sandwiches | Cincy Shopper
- Buffalo Chicken Wraps | The Weary Chef
- French Dip Sandwiches | Buns In The Oven
- The Perfect Tuna Melt | Sarah Titus
- Hot Ham and Cheese Rolls | Kevin & Amanda
- Buffalo Grilled Cheese Sandwich | Greens & Chocolate
- Sushi Sandwich with Turkey and Cheese | The Weary Chef
Crock Pot Recipes:
- Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Vegetable Soup | Bunny’s Warm Oven
- Easy Crock Pot Lemon Chicken | My Joy-Filled Life
- Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Meatballs | Parenting Chaos
- Slow Cooker Ravioli Recipe | The Taylor House
- Creamy Chicken Ranch | Life In The Lofthouse
- Philly Cheesesteaks | Mom on Time Out
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Quesadillas | Six Sisters’ Stuff
- Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli | Damn Delicious
- 3-Ingredient Slow Cooker Taco Chicken | Kristine’s Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Pork BBQ Pizza | The Weary Chef
Hope this helps!