Thank you YouTube Kids for making reading fun this summer!
My boys are done school today and our summer is officially starting! We have lots of fun day trips planned this summer but the one thing I always struggle with is managing screen time, keeping them busy while we are home, and getting them into a reading routine.
My younger son enjoys reading but with my oldest I often have to push him. I want to make reading fun this summer so that it doesn’t feel like a chore to them.
This summer, I’ve teamed up with YouTube Kids for their 30 day reading challenge. Now if I told my boys they’d have to read every day for a month, they would start whining.
YouTube Kids has made it fun by giving kids different challenges like read to a pet, under a tree, in a tent, and so many other fun ideas to keep reading interesting. You can print out the full list below.
I’m going to also have my boys create a poster board with some of their own ideas.
- in a sleeping bag
- under the stars
- with a flashlight
- on the front porch
- to your brother
- out of town
- laying by the pool
- on the beach
- in a tent
- on a road trip
Here’s a few tips I plan on implementing this summer to keep us on track:
- Establish a regular time for reading.
- Set a good reading example; when they read, I read.
- Let them pick out their own books.
- Clean out the bookcase so they can fill it with a variety of interesting books.
- Switch it up and make reading fun (see list above).
More summer reading challenges:
- Summer reading bucket list from No Time for Flashcards
- A reading log kids can color from This Reading Mama
- Printable punchcard bookmarks from Over the Moon
- Summer reading bingo card printable from My Sister’s Suitcase
- Summer reading log printable from Simple as That
- Summer Reading Star free printable from How Does She?
If you haven’t downloaded the YouTube Kids App make sure you do. It gives your kids an easy way to watch their favorite shows, or explore anything that captures their imagination. It’s free, simple to use, and full of family-friendly videos. Perfect for summer road trips!
Looking for some books suggestions? Here’s 40 chapter books for boys 8 – 12.