War on Boys (Video)

war on boys

This morning as I was sipping my cup of coffee reading through my Facebook stream, I came across the video below. Of course when I saw the title “War on Boys” I had to click and watch.

The video talks about how boys in America’s schools are routinely punished for being active, competitive, and restless.

My one friend was telling me the other day that her 2nd grader is having a hard time focusing and the teachers make comments to her all the time. Another friend of mine told me that her son’s teacher called her about her son’s active behavior and that he should be seen by his Pediatrician for possible ADHD since he can’t sit still.

The book, Helping Boys Learn by Dr. Edmond Dixon, has really opened up my eyes to the way boys function. Now I don’t get frustrated when my older son taps his foot while doing homework or when he fidgets in his seat. Boys learn differently, they need movement.

I wish all teachers, parents, and educators would read this book so that they can understand and learn tactics to help boys in school. Boys and girls should never be compared just like children in general should never be compared to their peers.

Over the last few months, I started reading more books and articles to help me understand the way boys learn so I can help my own children succeed in school. Getting frustrated with them is not the answer. I’ve seen a big improvement in my older son since I changed the way we do homework and learning activities.

Some of the key takeaways from the video:

• Being a normal boy is a serious liability in today’s classroom.
  • Increasingly today’s schools have little patience for what years ago was considered “boyishness”.
  • We need to think about how we can make our grade schools more “boy friendly”.
  • Turn boys into readers; boys score lower on national reading tests.
  • We need to inspire the male imagination.
  • If boys are constantly subject to disapproval for their interests and enthusiasms, they are likely to become disengaged and lag further behind.
  • Bring back recess; a recent study said that since the 1970′s school children have lost up to 50% of their unstructured outdoor play time.
  • Boys need to work off their energy.

And the biggest takeaway…..if boys are in trouble, so are we as parents!

Comments

1. says

Love it! Mom of 2 boys, now 14 & 16. This video is spot on, effective and should be mandatory for all teachers and administrators. I wish I would have trusted my own instincts when they were younger, talked about these issues with their teachers and stood up for their “boy-ness”. Thanks for sharing!

2. Andrea says

ADHD is a real thing and as a person who suffered undiagnosed it makes me happy to see caring teachers reach out to parents.

• says

Oh I’m not saying it’s not a real thing and yes some kids really do need medical attention. My whole issue is, most (not all) teachers, educations, Doctors, just diagnosed kids with this even when they don’t really have it. It’s like an easy answer to help control the energy that boys have. My other issue is that boys learn completely different than girls and I wish educators realized this.
      Tina @ Life Without Pink´s last blog post ..Boy Mom Spotlight: Meet Kirsten

3. Samantha Halter says

As a mom of three little boys, only two in school I am so happy that you shared this video. I really think that all teachers and school officials can watch this video and read more about teaching boys. I hope that by the time by little one reaches school things will change for the better!

Thank you again!
    Sam

4. Jennifer says

I have to say that as a mom of two boys and as a teacher, this truly post hurts my heart. First saying most (not all) teachers don’t get boys is unfair and part of the problem in our country. There is such a lack of respect for teachers in our country. Teachers are professionals and when we see kids who are outliers (who need more redirection, more sensory breaks, etc) from their peers that sends up a red flag to me. As a mom, I would want to know if my boys were struggling (whether academically or behaviorally) Would I as an educator suggest a diagnosis, never, but would I suggest following up with their pediatrician yes. While children all have different needs its not fair to say all boys need this or all girls need that. My job is to do what’s best for each child in my class. We have a bin of fidgets in my classroom, some kids have sensory necklaces for chewing, rubber bands on chair legs to allow movement while sitting. And guess who pays for most of those items, me (the teacher).

I want all of my kids to be successful and I will do whatever I can to make that happen. But parents need to realize that when a teachers reaches out to you with a concern that it comes from the heart.
    We all know school isn’t what it was 10 years ago. With the politicians emphasis on testing and evaluating teachers are in a tough spot right now. Please don’t bash teachers in general, its not fair, most teachers are hard working, passionate people who truly care about teaching children.

Parents need to step up and help their children become good readers and learners as well. We can’t do it all in the classroom. A love of learning and reading should start at home from the beginning. Start vocalizing your convents about testing, developmentally appropriate curriculum, lack of recess, etc, to your school boards and elected officials. I wish teachers had a bigger say in what should happen in their classrooms. Until then parents and teachers must unite and fight for what is right for all students.

• says

I’m not saying that it’s teachers fault or that I don’t respect them. My sister is a teacher and works really hard and has a love for her children. I feel that as a society we are quick to give children diagnosis as an excuse for kids (mostly boys) having energy or being excited. I work hard with my boys at home – teaching them – and I too was frustrated that my older son never sat still and would bounce around while doing his homework. Then I read, Helping Boys Learn, and it really opened up my eyes to the way boys work and effective strategies to help my boys learn. Since then, homework time has been less stressful and my son is thriving. I applaud teachers because it’s one of the hardest jobs in the world (I mean this).

Thanks for sharing your opinion :)
      Tina @ Life Without Pink´s last blog post ..Boy Mom Spotlight: Meet Kirsten