We are all about holiday traditions in my household. It was important for me to start them early with my boys so as they grew it would be part of their memories.
We have traditions for every holiday but of course my favorite ones are our Christmas traditions. Over the last few years, we’ve adopted quite a few and it’s so much fun!
Here are some of our holidays traditions that we enjoy doing:
1. There’s a local church that hosts a really nice Live Nativity with 12 walk-through scenes, 200+ cast members, live animals, musical performances, and refreshments. They have over a 1,000+ people that go through this during the season. We’ve been going since Big A was 2 years-old and I was pregnant with Little B. My entire family goes together and we make a fun night out of it. It ends with hot chocolate and freshly baked cookies!
2. Getting a new pair of Christmas pajamas has been a tradition since I was little and now I do this with my own family. There’s nothing cuter than seeing your kids (and sometimes hubby) run around in festive holiday pj’s. Check out our pj’s this year.
3. Every year we take the boys to the Hallmark store and let them pick out their very own ornament. Then we date it and add it to their little Christmas tree that we have in their playroom. We love looking at the ornaments they’ve picked throughout the years. One day they’ll hang these ornaments on their own family Christmas tree.
This year the boys happened to pick what they were for Halloween – which worked out nicely!
Little B’s pick:
Big A’s pick:
4. What would Christmas be without baking cookies! This is the only time that my husband bakes. He has a really yummy chocolate chip recipe (with an secret ingredient) that he makes every year. And since I LOVE anything with peanut butter, we make Peanut Butter Blossoms - I’m hungry just thinking about them!
5. After we put the kids to bed on Christmas Eve, the adults watch Christmas Vacation. We cozy up on the couch in our pj’s, snuggled under blankets, and laugh until our cheeks hurt. This movie NEVER gets old.
A few traditions that some of my readers have:
6. Samantha said, “We watch lots of Christmas movies together, we drive around and listen to Christmas music and look at lights and we do a ton of baking together. Christmas Eve we always feed the reindeer together and put out goodies for Santa.”
7. “Our year-round tradition is to buy Christmas ornaments on our vacations (with duplicates for the kids for when they’re older), so putting up the Christmas tree every year is a trip down memory lane,” said a reader named Rachel. I love this idea and agree it’s fun to reminiscence on fun places you have visited over the years.
8. I love Sharon’s idea! She said, “We count down to 12 NOON on the last day of Dec – we have friends over and do crafts, have food and celebrate our last lunch of the year.”
9. “We let the kids open a present on Dec 13th to start the 12 days of Christmas countdown,” said a reader named Heather. This is a cute idea and could be done with small gifts for the kids.
10. Another festive idea from Sheila at Brain Power Boy, “We read at least one Christmas book every day through the holiday season.” LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea!
11. Brandy has a really fun tradition, “ My father-in-law has a big “unveiling” of his house Christmas lights late in the evening on Thanksgiving. After we’ve had lunch, parted ways to see other families, and made our way back to the house he has us all wait outside in the front yard and BAM…lights and music fill the chilly air.”
What are some of your Christmas traditions?