Boy Mom Spotlight: Meet Kelly

by Tina @ Life Without Pink on November 22, 2013

Today, I want you to meet Kelly from One Quarter Mama and her cutie, Little Man.

I love that Kelly has an interview series on her blog – perfect way to get to know her and her family better! Learn more about Kelly here and find out about her husband aka Dada here.

birthdaycropbrand

Age.

Little Man (09/09)

Describe your son.

He’s pretty tall for his age with gorgeous green eyes. He is autistic and also suffers from Childhood Apraxia of Speech, but that doesn’t stop him from humming, singing and being a charmer. He loves to be tickled and to jump and crash into things. He knows how to spell his name and loves trains.

How do you stay calm when surrounded by ALL that energy?

I love it! It is everything I wanted. I always wanted a boy, so I feel very lucky.

How do you instill gentlemanly behavior, actions, thoughts?

Well, that’s a work in progress. He can be very rough at times and not very aware that his body can hurt others. He isn’t doing it on purpose to hurt anyone, so it’s about gaining awareness about how his body moves and works. I try to show him how to be gentle with animals and small things.

What do you like to do with your son?

We read books, watch trains (on TV and in person – there’s a track that runs in front of our house).

How do you maintain close relationships with your son as he ages?

I hug him a lot. We just do things together. Whatever he’s interested in.

What type of sports or activities does your son participate in?

Nothing yet, but he loves water.

Where is your favorite place to shop for your son?

I usually end up at Children’s Place. I like their clothes and they seem to last.

What are some books/series your son like to reads?

We were gifted a series about different kinds of vehicles (planes, trains, diggers, tractors etc) that he likes. We also like Sandra Boynton.

Biggest mess your son has made?

Oh, we had a poopy mess – there’s a pic on my blog actually. Here’s the post.

I love being a boy mom because______

there is nothing better to me than having a smiling little boy running up to me, covered in dirt and he smells like grass and worms. I just feel like all is right with the world.

Give us your best boy mom tip!

Cherish the time when they stick to you like glue, because they do eventually become Daddy’s boys and you might miss the attention. Don’t be scared to get dirty and play with them, whatever their interests are.

Kelly’s Something Special:

My son took a long time to be verbal. I used to poke his nose and say, “beep! I love you!” He usually just smiled. One day I asked him if he loved his mama and he came up to me, poked my nose and said, “beep!” That was the best day ever. Recently, I asked him what love was and he said, “hugs” and I thought that was the sweetest things. We don’t need many words to communicate.

**************************

Thank you Kelly for sharing your family with us.

You can also read more about Kelly and her family or chat with her on Twitter at @OneQuarterMama.

Make sure to read about the other boy moms and their little men!

If you are interested in being featured, please fill out this form. Remember you don’t have to be a mom of all boys just one. NOTE: there’s a waiting list and I will contact you about a week or two prior to your scheduled date.

Thanks for reading!

1 Kelly @OneQuarterMama November 22, 2013 at 10:47 am

Thanks for featuring me, Tina!
Kelly @OneQuarterMama´s last blog post ..Who We Are Autism Documentary

2 Tina @ Life Without Pink November 22, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Thank you for letting me feature you!

3 Shell November 22, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Ah, the rough at times thing- yup, that’s mine, too!

I love Children’s Place for my boys’ clothes, too. Though for my skinniest boy, I’ve found that their adjustable waist jeans don’t go tight enough for him- but Crazy 8′s pull on jean is perfect.
Shell´s last blog post ..When You Know What You’re Doing

4 Kelly @OneQuarterMama November 22, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Nice clothing suggestion, Shell. Mine tends towards the tall and skinny also.
Kelly @OneQuarterMama´s last blog post ..Life Without Pink Feature – Boy Moms

5 Shell November 22, 2013 at 2:27 pm

My middle son (7), could probably still wear a size 4 or maybe even 3 to be honest in the waist. But he needs a 7 for length. Crazy 8′s jeans(or Gymboree’s pull ons, though C8 is cheaper) are the only ones we’ve found that works for us. Apparently I’m super excited about this because I mention it whenever anyone talks kids clothes shopping. ;)
Shell´s last blog post ..When You Know What You’re Doing

6 Kelly @OneQuarterMama November 22, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I find it frustrating enough just shopping for myself sometimes! When you find something that works, it’s great to sing it from the rooftops! Also, since I’m not in the States, I have a better idea of what stores we should go to for us to stock up on clothes that work. I appreciate the suggestion because it saves me time :)
Kelly @OneQuarterMama´s last blog post ..Life Without Pink Feature – Boy Moms

7 Tina @ Life Without Pink November 24, 2013 at 10:21 am

I always forget about Crazy 8′s…have to check them out!
Tina @ Life Without Pink´s last blog post ..Check Out Moe’s Southwest Grill’s New Chimichurri Burrito + WIN #moeschimi

8 Jackie November 22, 2013 at 2:47 pm

I love that he “beeped” your nose! That is the sweetest thing.

I just read through the comments and need to find the Crazy 8 jeans! Where do I find them?
Jackie´s last blog post ..Better than window shopping!

9 Kelly @OneQuarterMama November 22, 2013 at 2:58 pm

It is! Now he can actually say, “I love you” but I still find the “beeps” more precious :)

I did a quick search and found Crazy 8 here: http://www.crazy8.com/
Unfortunately, they don’t ship to Canada though :(
Kelly @OneQuarterMama´s last blog post ..Life Without Pink Feature – Boy Moms

10 Jackie November 22, 2013 at 3:02 pm

That’s fine! As long as they ship to Michigan it’s all good.
Jackie´s last blog post ..Better than window shopping!

11 Tina @ Life Without Pink November 24, 2013 at 10:23 am

Isn’t that sweet?!

12 angela November 22, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Jackie, I know there’s a Crazy 8 at Lakeside Mall, and there might be one at 12 Oaks :) (But they’re online, too!)
angela´s last blog post ..Playing Pirates

13 Tina @ Life Without Pink November 24, 2013 at 10:24 am

I’m going to check them out! I totally forgot about Crazy 8!

14 AnnMarie November 24, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I am a boy mama of a 15yo and a 12yo and your tip is right on! Both my boys come to me before they go to their dad if they have a question about life or girls but it’s Dad that they like to spend time with. They all like the same things and they would rather watch high action/slasher movies instead of a chick flick. I miss the days when their world revolved around me and I didn’t have to say, “Sorry I don’t have that equipment and I’m not sure how it works. Ask your dad.”
AnnMarie´s last blog post ..Crabby Mommy

15 Kelly @OneQuarterMama November 25, 2013 at 10:36 am

Awww, but they still know they can always count on you!
Kelly @OneQuarterMama´s last blog post ..Thank Goodness For Advocacy