36 Things I Want to do Before I’m 40

by Tina @ Life Without Pink on November 18, 2013

Today I turn 36….36! I know a number is just that, but for some reason I can’t help but think…what 36? No, really?!

photo

Right now I’m in that cycle of life that consists of work, kids, home, work, kids, home, etc. I give 110% to my boys and at the end of the day I don’t have much energy for myself. I’m ok with that because I love them and my husband more than life but lately I’ve been feeling like I need to pay more attention to myself. Schedule some time for just me, do things I love, soak up life a bit more, find a hobby, and do something great with my life.

The other day I stumbled upon a blog a husband started to write about his wife’s battle with cancer. I couldn’t stop reading and looking at the photos. It really made an impression on me – I still can’t stop thinking about her. She was 40 and passed away a year and a half ago. Her husband still shares her legacy and his words paint a beautiful picture of his wife.

“Jen taught me to love, to listen, to give and to believe in others and myself. I’ve never been as happy as I was during this time.”

It really got me thinking…life is short. What will people remember about me? What is my purpose? Am I the best person that I can be?

For some reason, I’ve had this feeling inside for quite some time that there’s more for me, a bigger purpose. I’m not sure what it is, if it is even anything, or when it will happen but I’ve been feeling it.

I started thinking of all the things I’ve always wanted to do but have never done or had the guts to do. So I decided to put together a list of 36 things I want to accomplish, take part in, and cross off by 40. Some of them are big and others are every day things.

I’ve been scared to do a few of them (like swim with dolphins since I have a fear of the ocean)….just the thought freaks me out! But what’s the point of never challenging yourself?

I’m ok if I don’t get them all crossed off (not going to beat myself up) but if I can do half the list that would be amazing in my book.

life list

1. Take cooking lessons
  2. Go zip lining
  3. Take my family on a Caribbean vacation
  4. Paint a room by myself
  5. Create my own beautiful office space in my house
  6. Start working out on a regular basis
  7. Go on a road trip with the family across the US (preferably in a Winnebago)
  8. Get my teeth professionally whitened
  9. Volunteer with my boys
  10. Be happy in my own skin
  11. Participate in a race
  12. Make photo albums for the family
  13. Swim with the dolphins (even though I have a fear of the ocean)
  14. Surprise someone in a big way
  15. Play a video game and beat it with my boys
  16. Paint all of the trim in our house
  17. Redo our front porch; paint, new swing, furniture, plants, etc.
  18. Learn how to sew
  19. Speak at a conference
  20. Get Invisalign
  21. Cook a gourmet meal from start to finish
  22. Take a trip with just my husband
  23. Go on a hot air balloon ride
  24. Organize a retreat
  25. Learn how to swing on the trapeze
  26. Attend a red carpet premiere
  27. Finish the basement
  28. Get 8 hours of sleep every night for one month
  29. Take my boys on a one-on-one trip
  30. Refinish a piece of furniture
  31. Be able to see my abs
  32. Get invited to Disney Social Media Moms (my boys would LOVE it, heck me too!)
  33. Sponsor a child
  34. Go dog sledding
  35. Meet Tori Spelling (ok this may be unrealistic but love her!)
  36. Renew my vows

Do you have a life list? If so, tell me three things that are on it!

1 AnnMarie November 18, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I love this idea! I’m 43 and I know what you mean about the “what am I doing?” questions. I think on my list would be:
1. Go on an all inclusive vacation with my kids (or get back to Hawaii with the whole family).
2. Get my counseling degree and join a practice or start my own.
3. Learn how to drive downtown (this terrifies me).
AnnMarie´s last blog post ..One of My Rainbows

2 Tina @ Life Without Pink November 18, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Love your list! I”m with you on number 1, that’s what I’d love to do. We need to make it happen! :)

3 Erica November 18, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Meet Tori Spelling? I think we need to make that happen!

4 Tina @ Life Without Pink November 18, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Girl if you could make that happen I’d LOVE you forever (well already do but you know). Ever since watching her reality show, I’ve wanted to meet her. I think she seems like such a fun person to hang out with and a great mom. Now get to work! :)

5 thedoseofreality November 18, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Tori is TOTALLY one of my fantasy Hollywood BFFS! And Disney Social Media Moms is super high on my bucket list! SUPER high! This is a great list!-Ashley

6 Tina @ Life Without Pink November 18, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Ok we need to make both of these happen!
Tina @ Life Without Pink´s last blog post ..36 Things I Want to do Before I’m 40

7 Shell November 18, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I don’t think I realized we are only a few months apart! Now you make me think I need a list to do before 40, too!

I want to go ziplining and take my family on a Caribbean vacation, too- maybe combining these. A red carpet premiere would be fabulous, wouldn’t it?
Shell´s last blog post ..Greek Pizza with Tzatziki Sauce

8 Tina @ Life Without Pink November 19, 2013 at 9:31 am

Yay! When’s your birthday? I really need a vacation so hoping to cross this off my list in the next year!

9 Natalie November 18, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Ooh I like your list. I need to go on a hot air balloon ride, and you will love zip lining!
Natalie´s last blog post ..Moms Always Finish Last

10 Tina @ Life Without Pink November 19, 2013 at 9:32 am

I want to zip line sooooo bad! I gotta make this happen!

11 Robbie November 18, 2013 at 11:12 pm

I turned 43 this year and started a list of 43 things to do this year. Some things on my list: donate blood, read 43 books, go to Oregon, guest post for someone, volunteer 43 hours in my community.
Robbie´s last blog post ..I Never

12 Tina @ Life Without Pink November 19, 2013 at 9:35 am

Oh I love your list! What a cool way to tie in the “43″ :)

13 Kelly November 19, 2013 at 8:53 am

I LOVE this! What a great list you have put together!! I connected with #5, 7 & 20 right away…I would love to have a little office space that is NOT the kitchen table! ;) -I think my family would like that too, haha.
Trip across the country with family is most certainly a trip I dream about; my brother and SIL did this as their honeymoon and the stories have been great :)
Invisalign? YES! I have noticed that the older I get, (46!) the more I need to straighten out the old chompers.
Kelly´s last blog post ..Old School Blogging

14 Tina @ Life Without Pink November 19, 2013 at 10:05 am

I know I’ve wanted Invisalign for years now and I think I just need to do it! And it has been a dream to travel the US with my family….hope to do this when the boys get a bit older.

15 sisters from another mister November 19, 2013 at 8:54 am

My brother and his wife make a list every January of things they want to do – they put a 100 on it and tape it to the fridge. Its kind of cool, but yet to step up myself … maybe its time!
sisters from another mister´s last blog post ..Old School Blogging

16 Tina @ Life Without Pink November 19, 2013 at 10:08 am

Wow really? That’s a great way to do it. I should print this list out and put above my computer – to keep reminding me I need to cross some things off!

17 Sarah November 21, 2013 at 9:31 am

Love this idea! I’m almost ‘mid-30s’ and totally might steal it! … except maybe the sewing one. :)
Sarah´s last blog post ..Gorging and Games

18 Charmin - The Momiverse November 23, 2013 at 10:01 am

Tina,

This is such a great list! And so many of them are on my own list. I think putting it writing makes it more real and holds you accountable. I’m cheering you on, sweet friend! xoxo
Charmin – The Momiverse´s last blog post ..The traveler’s gift guide – for kids and adults