Today I turn 36….36! I know a number is just that, but for some reason I can’t help but think…what 36? No, really?!
Right now I’m in that cycle of life that consists of work, kids, home, work, kids, home, etc. I give 110% to my boys and at the end of the day I don’t have much energy for myself. I’m ok with that because I love them and my husband more than life but lately I’ve been feeling like I need to pay more attention to myself. Schedule some time for just me, do things I love, soak up life a bit more, find a hobby, and do something great with my life.
The other day I stumbled upon a blog a husband started to write about his wife’s battle with cancer. I couldn’t stop reading and looking at the photos. It really made an impression on me – I still can’t stop thinking about her. She was 40 and passed away a year and a half ago. Her husband still shares her legacy and his words paint a beautiful picture of his wife.
“Jen taught me to love, to listen, to give and to believe in others and myself. I’ve never been as happy as I was during this time.”
It really got me thinking…life is short. What will people remember about me? What is my purpose? Am I the best person that I can be?
For some reason, I’ve had this feeling inside for quite some time that there’s more for me, a bigger purpose. I’m not sure what it is, if it is even anything, or when it will happen but I’ve been feeling it.
I started thinking of all the things I’ve always wanted to do but have never done or had the guts to do. So I decided to put together a list of 36 things I want to accomplish, take part in, and cross off by 40. Some of them are big and others are every day things.
I’ve been scared to do a few of them (like swim with dolphins since I have a fear of the ocean)….just the thought freaks me out! But what’s the point of never challenging yourself?
I’m ok if I don’t get them all crossed off (not going to beat myself up) but if I can do half the list that would be amazing in my book.
- Take cooking lessons
- Go zip lining
- Take my family on a Caribbean vacation
- Paint a room by myself
- Create my own beautiful office space in my house
- Start working out on a regular basis
- Go on a road trip with the family across the US (preferably in a Winnebago)
- Get my teeth professionally whitened
- Volunteer with my boys
- Be happy in my own skin
- Participate in a race
- Make photo albums for the family
- Swim with the dolphins (even though I have a fear of the ocean)
- Surprise someone in a big way
- Play a video game and beat it with my boys
- Paint all of the trim in our house
- Redo our front porch; paint, new swing, furniture, plants, etc.
- Learn how to sew
- Speak at a conference
- Get Invisalign
- Cook a gourmet meal from start to finish
- Take a trip with just my husband
- Go on a hot air balloon ride
- Organize a retreat
- Learn how to swing on the trapeze
- Attend a red carpet premiere
- Finish the basement
- Get 8 hours of sleep every night for one month
- Take my boys on a one-on-one trip
- Refinish a piece of furniture
- Be able to see my abs
- Get invited to Disney Social Media Moms (my boys would LOVE it, heck me too!)
- Sponsor a child
- Go dog sledding
- Meet Tori Spelling (ok this may be unrealistic but love her!)
- Renew my vows
Do you have a life list? If so, tell me three things that are on it!