Disclosure: As a member of the Happy Family ambassador program, I recently received product to test out with my family. As always, all opinions are my own. Read Life Without Pink’s full disclosure here.
In about 3 weeks, my boys will be done school and summer will officially start for us. I’m excited but at the same time a bit nervous.
I work-from-home and having the boys with me all summer means I need to keep them on a schedule and come up with a game plan each day. Otherwise the kids get cranky, mom gets stressed, and summer is nothing but a headache.
But I know they will only be little for so long and I’m really looking forward to making this summer memorable.
I’ve decided not to send them to a summer camp for two reasons:
1. It’s too darn expensive!
2. All school year we are running to and from activities, so it will be nice to relax and not have to be anywhere at a certain time. Plus, I plan to take them on day trips, swim a ton, have pajama days, and host summer play dates.
This will be our fourth year in our home and I love hosting summer parties. We live on 3+ acres, which gives the kids plenty of room to run and the pool allows everyone to cool down.
Here are a few tips that I find help me when planning a summer play date:
1. Set a limit. Figure out what your limit is for the number of kids invited. Things can get a bit crazy when there are a ton of kids especially when they are in and out of the house. Take pressure off yourself and host smaller play dates to make it more manageable. This also allows you to spend more time with your guests.
2. Time of day. It’s important to pick a time of day that works for everyone. Now that my boys are older, I find it’s better to start the play date in the morning around 10:30 – 11:00. They can play and swim a little then we can have lunch and snacks. Also, in the summer it can get really hot so by late afternoon (when temps spike) the play date is usually winding down.
3. Plan activities. For the most part, the kids can keep themselves entertained but I still like to have a few activities planned.
- Create a backyard mini golf course.
- Set-up an art station and let the kids get messy (hey you can wash it off with water)!
- Have a good old fashion water balloon fight.
- Get some silly string and let the kids go crazy! My boys will play with this for hours or until the string is gone!
- I love this sticker tag idea from Flipflops & Applesauce.
- One of my favorite blogs (and bloggers), Inner Child Fun, shares 20 favorite must-do activities that you can incorporate into your play date!
4. Have a variety of quick and easy snacks for the kids. For some reason, when kids are together playing they want to snack. I love setting up a snack station on my patio that includes drinks (juice boxes or a pitcher with a spout filled with lemon-aid), picky food for adults, and snacks for kids. Happy Family has great snacks choices that are convenient and healthy!
- Happy Munchies: Organic snacks for your little one, from rice cakes, baked cheese & veggie snacks, to freeze-dried fruit and veggie crisps.
- Happy Tot: Organic fruit & vegetable mixes with Salba The SUPER Chia for added nutrients.
- Happy Yogis: Freeze-dried organic fruit and yogurt drops that melt in your child’s mouth.
- Happy Tot Greek Yogurt: Pouches that combine creamy Greek yogurt with healthy fruits & vegetables for nutritious yumminess to help toddlers grow big & strong.
These options are great because the kids can grab and go! Plus, they make an excellent source of calcium and vitamin D. It’s always nice to know your child is eating something healthy.
And moms love them too! I’ll often grab a few packs before heading out the door for the day. They are easy for me to eat in the car without making a big mess.
Happy Family wants to help kick off your summer fun at your next play date!
Win a case of Happy Tot Organic Greek Yogurt (mixed) and Happy Family Coupons!
CONGRATS to Jodi S!!
Mandatory entry: To enter, leave a comment with your BEST play date tip.
- One comment per day is allowed.
- Tweet the following for extra entries (leave your URL(s) in the comment section): I’ve entered to #win a case of @HappySuperFoods Greek Yogurt + coupons http://bit.ly/19mA1rh from @tinaseitzinger.
- Follow me on YouTube and leave a comment below letting me know you did.
- Follow me on Instagram and leave a comment below letting me know you did.
Terms & Conditions:
Open to USA residents, ages 18+. Giveaway ends on 6/3, 2013 at 11:59PM EST. The winner will be selected randomly and will be notified by email. Winner will have 48 hours to reply and claim before a new winner is selected. Please note Life Without Pink is not responsible for fulfilling the prize(s). The sponsor will ship out the product, please allow at least 4 weeks.