Disclosure: I received a Surprise Ride package for my review. All opinions are my own and are not influenced in any way.
Spring break gave me a preview of what my summer is going to look like.
I would often hear….
“Can you play with me?”
“There’s nothing to do!”
…or I’d hear the sounds of fighting, wrestling, and screaming coming from all areas of the house…all day long!
Two days into break and both boys were bouncing off the walls!
I work full-time from home, so I’m going to need to come up with ways to keep them busy this summer. If they have an activity planned then they are happy campers, but when they have too much down time, that’s when they start getting stir-crazy!
Over break I had the opportunity to try out Surprise Ride. It arrived a few days before the kids were out of school (thank you!) and I was excited to let them dig in.
First let me tell you what it’s all about: Surprise Ride sends 7-12 year old kids activities every month to expand their horizons and foster their creativity. Activities can range from arts & crafts to science experiments, and more! Donna Khalife, Founder, was inspired to start Surprise Ride because some of her best memories as a kid were getting immersed in projects around the house with her siblings and parents.
These activities, beyond the latest toy or video game, allow kids to evolve through play. As a parent, I’m super thankful there are products on the market like this!
There are three easy steps for getting started:
1. Join or send a gift (starting at $26.99/month & includes shipping).
2. Receive a fun-filled package every month.
3. Enjoy and have fun!
When our package arrived in the mail, I handed it to my oldest son and said, “Look you got something in the mail.” His eyes lit up and he couldn’t open the box fast enough!
We received the “Luminescence” package and it was perfect since my oldest is currently obsessed with science and of course both boys love anything that glows in the dark.
First you may ask yourself, What’s luminescence?
Luminescence is the release of light produced without heat. The contents in the package helped me explain this to the kids by allowing us to do projects together as well as read some of the interesting facts they included.
Each package includes:
(I’ll give you a sneak peak at what we received in our package)
A Surprise Activity to explore the month’s theme: Make a light appear in the dark using just chemicals!
A Surprise Challenge to exercise the imagination: Decorate glow-in-the-dark switch covers.
Other fun extras (these may include a gadget, a game, stationary, etc.): Safety goggles, invisible pen with ultraviolet black light, and glow sticks.
- It’s super convenient. I don’t have to go to the store and it’s nice that the package ships directly to my house.
- This seriously makes the perfect gift! Let’s face it, kids have way too many toys and games. I love that these activities are educational, allow the kids to use their imagination, and it’s an unique gift idea.
- My boys love getting a surprise in the mail and it keeps it fun for them.
- Creates a fun family bonding experience that the entire family can enjoy.
- Not only did the kids learn something but I did too!
Fun facts I learned:
- Fireflies flash light at each other in a specific pattern when trying to find a mate.
- Some frogs eat so many fireflies that they also glow! (My boys loved this fact)
- Scientists in Taiwan have bread three pigs that “glow in the dark” by adding genetic material from jellyfish.
Pretty interesting, don’t you think?