Fun Date Ideas For Moms and Sons

by Tina @ Life Without Pink on February 6, 2013

When my oldest was little, we spent so much time together playing, singing songs, going on adventures, and visiting friends. Then I had two boys and it became much harder to get the one-on-one time with them.

Now that they are older, one of my “goals” this year is to spend more quality time with them – separately. It’s important to get to know them as individuals and keep that mother and son bond strong.

Plus, they both have different preferences, so it’s nice to do something that they pick and not something that they are “forced” to do with the rest of the family.

I plan on setting aside one or two days a month to take my boys each on a date or do something special with them.

I started making a list of all the things I could do with them and when I was done, I had a pretty long list with some fun ideas (some are seasonal).

I thought I’d share the list with you, to help inspire you to take your son(s) on a date.

Remember, it doesn’t have to be such a big ordeal and can even be spent at home. The whole point is spending time with them individually and doing something that will create new memories for them.

At Home:

• Explore the backyard
  • Have a picnic (indoors or out)
  • Movie marathon day
  • Play video games
  • Have a catch
  • Practice soccer skills
  • Build a fort in the living room
  • Craft day
  • Play hide-and-go-seek
  • Build a puzzle together
  • Play board games
  • Bake delicious treats
  • Dig in the dirt
  • Water fight
  • Star gaze
  • Have a dance party
  • Go on a treasure hunt
  • DIY project
  • Play light sabers
  • Cook together
  • Swim
  • Draw with chalk in the driveway
  • Read together

Out and About:

• Miniature golfing
  • Go to the movies
  • Have a lunch/dinner date
  • Fly a kite
  • Play at the park
  • Go out for ice-cream
  • Visit the zoo or local museum
  • Go bowling
  • Take a bike ride
  • Cooking class
  • Visit a toy store
  • Make sandcastles
  • Go to a sporting event
  • Go-karts
  • Bowling
  • Indoor rock climbing
  • Go for a long drive
  • Laser tag
  • Art class or pottery
  • Shopping trip
  • Visit a book store and pick out a few new books
  • Tennis tournament
  • Geocaching

Have older sons? Check out date night ideas for moms and teenage sons!

dates ideas for moms and teen sons

Please comment below with “date” ideas you like to do with your son(s) and I’ll add them to the list above. Thanks!

1 JDaniel4's Mom February 6, 2013 at 3:38 pm

These are wonderful ideas! I think my son would enjoy doing all of them.
JDaniel4′s Mom´s last blog post ..{Science Activity for Kids} Magnetic Heart Jar

2 Life Without Pink February 8, 2013 at 9:43 am

Thanks for stopping by!

3 Kirstylee February 6, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I love all of these ideas! I, too, am a mother to two boys and I have to remind myself all the time that they just think differently than I do. :)
Kirstylee´s last blog post ..Valentine’s Day Food Ideas – Chocolate and More!

4 Life Without Pink February 8, 2013 at 9:47 am

So true! And even though they are brothers, they still have different “likes”. :)

5 Dresden (@DresdenPlaid) February 6, 2013 at 6:20 pm

great list!
and OMG I love that photo!
Dresden (@DresdenPlaid)´s last blog post ..Looking for the solution to the feel crummy problem

6 Tina @ Life Without Pink February 10, 2013 at 10:35 pm

I know, I love that photo too! :)

7 Life Without Pink February 14, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Thanks! I love that photo too :)

8 Lolli @ Better in Bulk February 8, 2013 at 1:08 pm

These are all great ideas! I’ve found with my two boys that they just want to have my attention. Well….so do the girls.

9 Tina @ Life Without Pink February 10, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Haha…you are right. My boys are always fighting over attention, so it’s nice to have that one-on-one time w/them.
Tina @ Life Without Pink´s last blog post ..Because The Word “Underwear” Is Funny

10 Life Without Pink February 14, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I guess all kids love that one-on-one time :)

11 Shana D February 9, 2013 at 9:41 am

Love this list! Will have to print it out so when the boys and I need some time together I will have inspiration.
Shana D´s last blog post ..Wordless Wednesday-A treasure to keep forever

12 Tina @ Life Without Pink February 10, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Thanks Shana!

13 Life Without Pink February 26, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I love letting my boys pick the dates! :)

14 Andrea m February 9, 2013 at 11:22 am

Great list to have in one place. I’m kind of psyched at how many I’ve done already with my son….just did not do much planning. I like being more intentional about it. We’re also lucky to have a good library that he has enjoyed visiting. Thanks for the suggestions!

15 Tina @ Life Without Pink February 10, 2013 at 10:37 pm

That’s great Andrea, thanks for stopping by!

16 Life Without Pink February 26, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Oh that’s something we haven’t done in awhile…visit the library. Great idea!

17 Renae February 10, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I take my 2 1/2 year old on coffee / target dates. I’ll get my usual coffee and order a vanilla streamed milk with a dash of cinnamon for him and we browse around target together. He loves it…

18 Tina @ Life Without Pink February 25, 2013 at 7:30 am

We love Target dates too :)
Tina @ Life Without Pink´s last blog post ..Entertaining & Style | How To Live Like An A-Lister #HYTTYAwards

19 Life Without Pink February 26, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Love Target dates!

20 Catherine February 10, 2013 at 11:50 pm

I don’t have a son, but my husband and I have been talking about taking time to take out daughters out on one on one dates more. I’ll definitely be using some of the ideas on you list.

21 Tina @ Life Without Pink February 25, 2013 at 7:31 am

Yeah they are really good for sons or daughters. Have fun!

22 Life Without Pink February 26, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Yes and these are great for girls too!

23 Claire Harries February 11, 2013 at 9:24 am

We like to walk along the seafront and throw stones into the sea seeing how far we can throw them.

24 Tina @ Life Without Pink February 25, 2013 at 7:31 am

Oh so fun!!

25 Life Without Pink February 26, 2013 at 8:42 pm

My boys love doing this too!

26 Charlotte February 13, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Awww, I love these! I have so many friends who are parents to all boys and they would love to read your list :)
Charlotte´s last blog post ..Valentine’s Day, Shmalentine’s Day

27 Tina @ Life Without Pink February 25, 2013 at 7:32 am

Thank you! xoxo

28 Life Without Pink February 26, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Thanks Charlotte!

29 Jodi February 19, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I am the Mom to 3 boys ages 15,11, and 10 and we all LOVE to go to the trampoline park together!

30 Tina @ Life Without Pink February 25, 2013 at 7:32 am

Wow that sounds fun! We don’t have one of those near me.

31 Life Without Pink February 26, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Oh I wish we had one near us, sounds fun!

32 Hannah February 25, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I love these ideas :) my little one is 2 1/2 and we go on a starbucks date every thursday together.

33 Life Without Pink February 26, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Oh how cute!

34 Lisa Stimpson March 4, 2013 at 10:05 pm

This is such a great list! Thanks for the ideas. I have three little kids and my hubby and I take turns taking each on a date every month. My son’s (4 yrs) favorite date so far was going to eat at Burger King then we went to the Dollar Store and he got to pick two things. He was just on top of the world!

35 Tina @ Life Without Pink March 5, 2013 at 11:49 am

Oh my kids LOVE the Dollar Store too! Hey it’s a cheap date but they have fun! :)
Tina @ Life Without Pink´s last blog post ..Dane Cook To Voice Lead Character Dusty In Disney’s Planes

36 Serena Malcolm March 5, 2013 at 7:36 am

Such a wonderful idea – can’t wait to try some of these myself. I love your blog!
Serena Malcolm´s last blog post ..Reach for the Bugatti

37 Tina @ Life Without Pink March 5, 2013 at 11:49 am

Thank you so much! Means a lot.

38 alicia March 6, 2013 at 1:38 am

Great list! My son and I go letterboxing together. It is kind of like geocaching and he loves it.

39 Tina @ Life Without Pink March 12, 2013 at 7:28 am

Oh wow never heard of that, but I’ll have to check it out. Thanks!
Tina @ Life Without Pink´s last blog post ..An Embarrassing Moment as a Boy Mom

40 Jeanette March 7, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I am the mom to an 8 year old boy and he LOVES going to the farmers market. Every friday after school, we pick out our next week’s fruits and veggies, then I let him pick out something from the lady who sells baked goods. It’s almost always a square of fudge for him and peanut butter fudge for me! I love that one on one time with him!

41 Tina @ Life Without Pink March 12, 2013 at 7:29 am

Wow, what great memories you are building!
Tina @ Life Without Pink´s last blog post ..An Embarrassing Moment as a Boy Mom

42 Kristin K March 12, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Thanks for all the fun ideas! My son and I are going to our local high schools drama production this weekend. It’s a tradition we started when he was four. We always go to the soda shoppe beforehand. :). Can’t wait!

43 Life Without Pink March 15, 2013 at 8:19 am

Oh that sounds like fun!!

44 Lindsey Mattson March 19, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Great list – I will be using it as a reference for sure! I am always looking for new ideas for dates with my little man! Boys sure are different than girls and I remind myself and The Hubbs regularly!

45 Life Without Pink March 25, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Thank you!

46 Suzy Richards March 19, 2013 at 11:41 pm

I have a son ( now 24) who I used to have days like this with . We called them “Kelly /Momma Kind of days”. I wouldn’t have traded them for the world. We did all sorts of stuff but mostly it involved us just spending time together. He has since grown up and been to war and back . The first thing he wanted when he get out was a “Kelly/ Momma kind of Day “. Now he is attending college and getting ready to leave again I am sure that once he is gone though, he will remember them and long for them again . Thats priceless .

47 Life Without Pink March 25, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I love this, how sweet! Thanks for sharing your story with me.

48 DRIAM March 23, 2013 at 5:29 pm

At home, we have Friday Night Family Pizza & Movie Night every week. Beware when they learn the meaning of calling 911 and do so when you accidentally fall asleep on them and the movie and they get scared! LOL

Out and about, we also go rollerskating, horseback riding, to carnivals, and to reptile shows (depending on where you live) where you see and can buy different reptiles.

49 Life Without Pink March 25, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Love all of your ideas! Oh and reptile shows? My boys would probably love that!

50 Rosie O March 25, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Any ideas for older boys? He just told me over spring break that he was too old to “hang out” with me. It’s a fine line between being Mom & Friend and this age. My son will be 14 this summer and he’ll be attending early college high school in August so I feel like I gotta take advantage of the little time we have left. : (

51 Life Without Pink March 25, 2013 at 2:38 pm

You know, I was thinking of having someone guest post with ideas for older boys. Keep your eyes open for that post!

52 Brieana March 25, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Try to think of things he is interested in or things he likes to do with his friends – then multiply it by like 10 and make it so amazing he won’t be able to resist. At that age, you’ll probably have to splurge a little to make it exciting, but if you are only able to get a “date” out of him once a month or so it might be worth it.
Ex: If he likes cars/motorized vehicles…find a racetrack where racecar drivers will take you on some laps around the track, rent some 4 wheelers and go tearing up some trails, rent a REALLY nice exotic car for the day and tour the countryside (even break the speed limit a little), monster truck rallies, jet boat races, depends on what is in your area
If he likes adrenaline rushes and thrills…take him to an amusement park and ride some roller coasters, go skydiving with him (not sure of the age limit on this, but my dad and I went together and it was AMAZING!), go skiing/snowboarding, etc.
Some other random ideas…take some shooting courses at a gun range (or have a knowledgable friend/family member take you both), rent some jet skis, take kickboxing lessons together, build something cool together…
And if all else fails, just keep on being his mom for a little while. It’ll be a few years, but eventually he will want to be friends again :-)

53 Life Without Pink March 26, 2013 at 9:07 am

LOVE this! Thank you so much. I’m going to write a follow-up post to this and I’ll incorporate your ideas :)

54 Neena Barreto March 26, 2013 at 1:31 am

I have three boys, ages 8, 6, and 3. When my oldest turned 6, we started a tradition where he took me out on a date on Mother’s Day to my favorite tea house. We get dressed up, and I show him how to open the door for me and pull out my chair like a gentleman. He usually forgets about his inhibitions about being the only boy there once he’s giddy on apple cider and hot chocolate!

55 Life Without Pink March 26, 2013 at 9:13 am

Wow Neena what a wonderful thing to do! I’m going to steal this idea :)

56 Jamie Wyatt April 13, 2013 at 9:02 pm

I usually let my son choose the restaurants for our dates. (I gave him choices.) He was a fairly adventurous eater, so we tried different international cuisines. On a “Mother/Son Trip” to NYC, we listed all the different kinds of meat we ate in a Brazilian Churrascaria, which he thought was just the coolest thing, at the time!

57 teri April 14, 2013 at 4:27 pm

great ideas…but i lol’d at the idea of “visiting” a toy store.
If you have children, you see the humor in this “date”.

58 Life Without Pink April 14, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Of course that’s my boys’ favorite thing to do! :)

59 Life Without Pink April 14, 2013 at 4:55 pm

So fun!

60 Steffi April 15, 2013 at 9:54 am

That is such a great list and reminds me i need to focus more on my older boys. I am a mom of 2 older (step) sons (10 + 12), a 1 1/2 year old son and soon a baby boy. so it’s difficult having good time with the older once since i am home with the little one. i loved one activity with the middle in a school break. He wanted to go sightseeing (what i love). With him and the little: one morning we walked in Berlin (Germany) to see an open air display throuout our area. In the afternoon we visited Berlin Dom.
Only with him: another day we visited the Reichstag with a lecture (He choose it). I loved this time with him.

61 Life Without Pink April 24, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Wow that’s awesome!

62 Stacey April 21, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I take my boys on train or bus rides. We live by Wrigley Field, so we take in a ball game and eat hotdogs and popcorn.

63 Life Without Pink April 24, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Oh fun! My kids love the train :)

64 Sarah Lyons April 22, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Thank you. I like those ideas.

65 Life Without Pink April 24, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Thanks Sarah!

66 Chantele April 24, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I really like all of these ideas which I USED to do with my son when he was younger. He’ll be 13 in 3 months and NOW I’m having such a hard time trying to find things to do with him. He’s an introvert who gets embarrassed easily. Which makes it difficult for me because I’m a little of kilter :) If anyone has teenagers and any ideas that they’d like to share, I’d love to hear them.

67 Life Without Pink April 24, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Actually I’m putting a list together now and should have that done in the next week or so. I’ve been polling my fans…more to come soon!

68 Cathy April 24, 2013 at 10:43 pm

I have 2 teenagers and a six year old. I love your ideas for the younger, although we rarely struggle for things to do…its a little harder with the teenagers..so here are a few ideas I have tried with the older boys…
1) Hollywood Bowl (for the one who likes classical music)
2) Local Live Theatre shows
3) Driving Range
4) Action Movie – without the other brothers
5) Hiking
Sometimes, the best time with the older kids is when we are trapped in the car together…they are almost forced to talk about what is going on in their lives…they are also more receptive to questions when they dont have to look at you! I love being a mother of boys!

69 Tina @ Life Without Pink April 25, 2013 at 6:55 am

Thank you so much! I’m going to add these to my list!
Tina @ Life Without Pink´s last blog post ..NEW Trailer for Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World #Thor

70 Life Without Pink April 26, 2013 at 10:02 am

Oh thank you, such great ideas!

71 Michael Annis April 26, 2013 at 9:51 am

As a grandfather of 4 very active boys (all under 8 years old), I keep very busy and never have a lack of things to do. My mother always found things to do with me when I was a little guy (touch football, jacks and many outside activities that have gone by the wayside), and my father contributed by making easily made homemade toys that Mom and I could play with together (kites, soap box derby cars etc.) I share all of these things with my grandsons and they marvel at them !! Activities do not have to be expensive. Building a house out of cardboard boxes (think “maze house”) is about as cheap as you can get. After you are through with the boxes, flatten them out and slide down a dry, grassy slope with your boy or girl and always keep in mind that almost everything is “new” to the young mind. All three of my children remember with joy the many things we did that were simple and fun. And the thing they remember most is that they spent “fun times” with mom and dad.

72 Life Without Pink April 26, 2013 at 10:03 am

I love this, thank you for sharing!

73 Susanne May 6, 2013 at 10:12 am

Thank you for these great ideas!! My son also likes going to the free Home Depot & Lowe’s Build & grow workshops that they have on Saturday mornings (1st Sat of each month for HD, every few wks for Lowes).

74 Tina @ Life Without Pink July 19, 2013 at 7:43 am

Great idea!!
Tina @ Life Without Pink´s last blog post ..Breakfast with Katie Couric & a Special Video Message #KatieTalksMilk

75 Denise @ Couponin 4 a Difference May 29, 2013 at 4:14 pm

I am planning on “hosting” a birthday party for my toddler’s favorite stuffed animal. Part of the fun will involving him in the planning of making mini cupcakes and getting balloons. The rest of the fun will be the actual “party.”
Denise @ Couponin 4 a Difference´s last blog post ..Lazy Days in the Florida Keys

76 Tina @ Life Without Pink July 19, 2013 at 7:43 am

How cool is that?! Great idea!

77 Keyword4 July 5, 2013 at 7:11 am

I really do believe every one of the aspects you’ve got shown for your write-up. They are quite persuading all of which will surely perform. However, the actual blogposts are way too quick to begin with. Could you desire expand them slightly coming from the very next time? Wanted post.

78 Adrienne July 18, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Love THIS! Sunday for my son & I has been changed to SONday. My goal is to make sure each SONday we are simply each other’s company. Trying to take advantage & treasure all the small moments while he’s still a young fella.

79 Tina @ Life Without Pink July 19, 2013 at 7:44 am

OMG I love that…what a great idea!

80 dance mat typing level 5 July 10, 2014 at 4:38 am

There is definately a great deal to learn about this subject.
I really like all the points you made.
dance mat typing level 5´s last blog post ..dance mat typing level 5

81 spill Movie reviews wiki August 20, 2014 at 3:59 am

She is one of the hottest actresses of all time basically
because of her killer looks and gorgeous eyes. Its intense and deliberately angry screenplay fills
to capacity as the story unfolds and the characters are
revealed for who they really are. However those who are fighting with the time to explore web pages due to low speeds can get movies in a smaller amount
file size and recognised quality.
spill Movie reviews wiki´s last blog post ..spill Movie reviews wiki