Living In The Moment

by Tina @ Life Without Pink on January 4, 2012

It was two hours past bedtime and I could hear small giggles and colliding of toys coming from my youngest son’s bedroom.

I put on my “Mom” face, walked in and sternly told the boys they needed to go to sleep.

I headed back to my room to do more work.

Fifteen minutes later, I looked up and saw a little face peeking out from behind my door.

“Mom, can I sleep with you?”

I looked at my computer, back at my son standing there holding his favorite toy and decided I was going to live in the moment.

I turned off the computer, scooped up my five-year-old, and placed him in my bed.

I laid down next to him and felt his little hands wrap around my neck. With his nose pressed up against mine, he reached out and gave me a kiss on my cheek.

“I love you mom.”

I laid there holding him, not wanting this moment to end.

His breathing became more steady and his head calmly rested on my chest.

I squeezed him a little tighter.

I am living in the moment.

I’m linking up with Pour Your Heart Out

When was the last time you “lived” in the moment?

Part of my Year of Growth series.

1 Galit Breen January 4, 2012 at 8:44 am

Oh yes this. Perfectly this.
Galit Breen´s last blog post ..Softly Focused

2 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:33 pm

3 Amber January 4, 2012 at 9:06 am

Heart. Squeezed. I had to tell my daughter last night that she couldn’t snuggle with mommy (we’d gotten in a bad habit over Christmas break) because neither of us sleep that well. It broke my heart.
Amber´s last blog post ..Is It Still Christmastime, Mommy?

4 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I know it’s so hard. My 5 yr old ends up in our bed almost every night and eventually I end up in his bed {true story}. 3 people in a queen bed is too much!

5 Evonne January 4, 2012 at 9:09 am

How sweet! The other night the kids and I were watching tv. I’m pretty sure it was just a hockey game so nothing special. My son grabbed a blanket , curled up next to me and said he wanted to snuggle. Of course I couldn’t say no.
Evonne´s last blog post ..Stay out of the kitchen

6 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:34 pm

So sweet, love that!

7 Tara R. January 4, 2012 at 9:10 am

These moments are so fleeting, it’s good to surrender to them as often as you can.

(visiting via PYHO)
Tara R.´s last blog post ..I Will…

8 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:34 pm

You are so right…these are the moments we’ll look back on and remember :)

9 Kmama January 4, 2012 at 9:14 am

Living the moment is often so hard. I’m glad you were able to do it and enjoy that sweet moment with your son!
Kmama´s last blog post ..Four Christmases

10 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Thank you!

11 Barbara @ Footprints in the Sand January 4, 2012 at 9:16 am

Such a great post. I need to do this more often
Barbara @ Footprints in the Sand´s last blog post ..Two Different Babies

12 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Thanks, I think we all do!

13 wendy @ mama one to three January 4, 2012 at 9:27 am

you are better than I! I have a difficult time living in any moment–I am usually so far ahead of myself or feeling sentimental about the past… lovely.
wendy @ mama one to three´s last blog post ..Wordless Wednesday: This Is Our Holiday Card

14 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Yes I do that too, I think we all do. Sometimes it’s nice to break the rules :)

15 Shell January 4, 2012 at 9:47 am

I love those moments. And realize that they won’t last forever.
Shell´s last blog post ..Pour Your Heart Out: What Pour Your Heart Out Means

16 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:36 pm

You are so right!

17 Corine January 4, 2012 at 9:49 am

So sweet Tina!!! I have had those exact moments often… and when you give in and live in the moment it is a priceless feeling.
Corine´s last blog post ..National Weigh-In Day .

18 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Yes you are right and makes you feel good – goes along with how I want to change things in 2012.

19 Angel January 4, 2012 at 10:04 am

Last month presented a lot of those moments. We lost my mom and my youngest seemed to be taking it in stride. Until the visitation. But he has hugged much tighter, opened up much louder about how he feels and I am holding him as tight to give him some peace about it all.
Angel´s last blog post ..And then she was gone

20 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Awe I am so sorry about your mom. This is the time to be with your family and enjoy each moment with them :)

21 Jessica@Team Rasler January 4, 2012 at 10:09 am

This reminds me of a perfect “Just Write” post you could link up with at The Extraordinary Ordinary! Just lovely. Also, must say that I love the name of your blog. Even though my older son (of two boys) adores pink, I related immediately.
Jessica@Team Rasler´s last blog post ..One little resolution

22 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Thank you! So funny my 3 yr old HATES pink…he won’t eat out of a pink bowl or color with a pink crayon…crazy kid!

23 Maureen | Tatter Scoops January 4, 2012 at 10:27 am

Awww…so sweet. Yes, I co-sleep with my son but I just treasure these kinds of moments. Living the moment can be so sweet. :)
Maureen | Tatter Scoops´s last blog post ..Nickle Town On My Mind

24 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Yes it can. These are the moments we’ll remember {and them too}.

25 Marissa Sladek January 4, 2012 at 10:40 am

I love cuddles! Our 4 year old still climbs in bed with us most nights and it doesn’t bother me one bit :)
Marissa Sladek´s last blog post ..PYHO: Dear Lady at Kmart

26 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Yes my 5 yr old still does. Every morning I wake up and he is in btw us….he is such a cuddlier!

27 Jaime January 4, 2012 at 10:44 am

I’m with you. I enjoy moments like that from time to time. Kids grow so quickly. Those moments will not last forever. I’m happy you grabbed hold of it!
Jaime´s last blog post ..I Fought Some Bullies Once

28 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:40 pm

You are so right! We have to enjoy them.

29 Jackie January 4, 2012 at 10:54 am

Such a sweet moment to relish! As they get older they are few and farther between.
Jackie´s last blog post ..In a mood

30 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I know {sniff sniff}.

31 Kristen January 4, 2012 at 10:55 am

I did this last night too. My baby was sick and crying. We were up from 1ish on. But, at 4 – when I decided I needed at least 2 hours to sleep… I really didn’t want to put him down. Because he’s a heart melter too. Love this. I might come back and read it a few more times because it just hits so close to home. Kristen
Kristen´s last blog post ..I Have NO idea what I’m doing!

32 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Awe thank you! Yes my 5 yr old is so affectionate. He says to me, “Mom I don’t like sleeping alone. You make me warm and I love snuggling with you.” So cute!

33 Charlotte January 4, 2012 at 11:56 am

Awwwww, SQUEEEEEEE! Love this :) What a beautiful, precious moment you shared.

34 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Thank you :) He melts my heart!

35 Rachel {at} Mommy Needs a Vacation January 4, 2012 at 1:15 pm

SO cute!!!!! I love those moments!!!
Rachel {at} Mommy Needs a Vacation´s last blog post ..Kick Ass T-Shirts

36 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Me too, gotta grab them!

37 Kimberly January 4, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I’m all about savouring those tender moments.
So glad that you did!

38 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Me too!

39 molly January 4, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Too sweet. Probably last night when I played “choo choo” while giving the boys their bath. I was there when Thomas the Train fell off a ledge and drown. Ahhh, good times with my boys :)
molly´s last blog post ..2012 blogging resolutions & a question

40 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:42 pm

So cute…yes we play super heroes in the bath tub…gotta love boys!

41 Nolie January 4, 2012 at 3:34 pm

There have been many moments like that. I am doing something else and my son looks at me and says “Mom I want to ….. with you”. I have learned to stop whatever I am doing and give my kid that attention. They are only little for such a short amount of time that we must live in the moment. Whatever it is we are doing it can wait.
Nolie´s last blog post ..Happy New Year 2012 (Wordless Wednesday)

42 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:43 pm

You are so right! It’s hard to live in the moment, but I’m trying to do it more often. Good for you!

43 Ann January 4, 2012 at 3:53 pm

You’ve captured such a sweet moment of being a mom – perfectly! This reminds me to soak up all these wonderful moments in my own life as well.

p.s. I’m happy to find another SITS friend!
Ann´s last blog post ..How Not To Overparent Your Kids (And Love Them Better)

44 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Thank you for stopping by! Yes we need to soak these moments up!

45 Nikki O January 4, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I love that feeling of holding and snuggling with our little ones, more precious then words can describe sometimes :)
Nikki O´s last blog post ..Wordless Wednesday: Brothers #WW

46 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:44 pm

My hubby says I snuggle with the boys more than him…he is probably right :)

47 angela January 4, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Swoon. This is perfect. I am glad you did that. I don’t always do those things :( when they ask, and I need to say yes more, not worry about what I’m in the middle of.

48 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Don’t get me wrong I don’t either, but trying to make more of an effort.

49 JamieAnne January 4, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Those moments are so important….
JamieAnne´s last blog post ..Why teenagers are like zombies, an odd birthday post

50 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Yes they are!

51 Adrienne January 4, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Good for you! Soak it up!! :)
Adrienne´s last blog post ..Why do we judge young mothers so harshly?

52 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Thank you! I am trying to soak them up when I can :)

53 Courtney Kirkland January 5, 2012 at 2:01 am

I love little moments like that. It’s hard to say no to such innocent little kiddos isn’t it?
Courtney Kirkland´s last blog post ..Working Mom Guilt

54 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:46 pm

You are right! I know I’ve had to tell my boys “not now” and I feel horrible. Trying to make a better effort at not doing this.

55 Ann January 5, 2012 at 2:12 am

Love this post! What a great decision! I have what I think might be a live in the moment – moment!

Tonight, while I was blog reading, honey bunny called me over to his computer to show me that a man he mentored a long time ago has now surpassed him. (We are long since retired). Rather than be envious of this person surpassing his highest achievement in his career, he was so proud of him that he was bursting with it.

I immediately got up and hugged my honey bunny. To me, it takes a great man to be proud of the achievements of others rather than be envious.

I don’t know if it qualifies as a living in the moment…but I was bursting with pride for my guy…and the guy he had mentored.
Ann´s last blog post ..Baba Ganoush

56 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Love this! Thank you for sharing!

57 Hutch January 5, 2012 at 11:13 am

So many parents don’t make that decision, good for you!
Hutch´s last blog post ..PYHO: The Secret

58 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 5, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Thank you, he was too cute not too :)

59 Michelle January 6, 2012 at 1:05 am

That’s the only way to do it. Sometimes the work and chores can wait because they are only little once.
Michelle´s last blog post ..Introducing Baby Brown

60 Tina @ Life Without Pink January 7, 2012 at 8:56 am

You are so right! It’s a good thing to remember!

61 Glamamom January 7, 2012 at 5:48 pm

That is so sweet. I’m with you. I try not to let convention wisdom get the best of me and let my son sleep with me when he needs it too.
Glamamom´s last blog post ..JESSICA SIMPSON GIRLS’ LINE LAUNCH

62 Life Without Pink January 9, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Me too…they are only little for so long :)

63 Robin | Farewell, Stranger January 7, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Oh, perfect. I’ve been trying to do that more too, and when it ends up like that it’s totally worth it.
Robin | Farewell, Stranger´s last blog post ..My One Word

64 Life Without Pink January 9, 2012 at 2:18 pm

You are right!

65 tracey just another mom January 7, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Good for you. Living in the moment is tricky on the best of days, let alone when the computer is staring back at you…
tracey just another mom´s last blog post ..The Cutest Puppy Ever

66 Life Without Pink January 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Yes…I can’t say I do this all the time, but I am really trying to make more of an effort.

67 Brittany {Mommy Words} January 8, 2012 at 10:29 am

Oh yes, I need to do this more. Except wait…my kids pile into my bed every night and kick and squirm and basically make sleep impossible :) I need to take that time to enjoy a few precious moments with them, let them fall asleep on me and then softly move them back to their beds.

Putting the computer away is everything to our kids, I am so glad you did it! Snuggles are awesome!
Brittany {Mommy Words}´s last blog post ..Sharing Grief: 5 Months After Losing our Baby

68 Life Without Pink January 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Yes we do that! Or some nights I get up and go into my son’s room and sleep in his bed, by myself! :)

69 Hands Free Mama January 8, 2012 at 9:59 pm

You made a beautiful choice! I am on a journey to choose what matters over daily distraction because those moments, like the one you experienced, are the ones that make life worth living. So happy to find other parents making the same choice. LOVELY!

70 Life Without Pink January 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Thank you for stopping by! :)