Scratch It!

by Tina @ Life Without Pink on October 6, 2011

The other night I took the boys to the store quickly so I could pick up a few things we desperately needed – you know like food.

As we were checking out, Little B started crying for me to hold him. After I put everything on the counter to be scanned, I picked him up.

Then he starts.

“My butt itches Mom!”

This only means one thing…he needs to go to the bathroom.

Then Big A starts crying he is tired. I pick him up with the other arm struggling to get him into the cart. I realized just how big he really is…about 45 pounds now!

I start putting bags in the cart as Little B keeps screaming, “My butt itches, scratch it!”

The teenage cashier looks at me with a disgusted smile, obviously she has no idea and I felt like saying to her, “Don’t laugh, your time is coming Miss!”

I decided instead of getting embarrassed, I would embrace it. So what if my son said he has an itchy butt. Everyone around me has experienced this before in their life and my son is confident enough in his own skin to shout it through the store to let everyone know….literally!

What’s the most embarrassing thing your child has said while in public?

1 Denise October 6, 2011 at 8:44 am

One of my personal favorites was when my daughter yelled that my son is “dumbass” at the top of her lungs in the library. I’ll take itchy butt over that any day.
Denise´s last blog post ..I Struggle with ADHD

2 Life Without Pink October 12, 2011 at 9:34 am

OMG too funny!!

3 shell October 6, 2011 at 9:24 am

LMAO!!!!

I try to block out the things my kids have said. ;)
shell´s last blog post ..Recess: A Child’s Favorite Time of the School Day

4 Life Without Pink October 12, 2011 at 9:34 am

Shell I bet you have one of these stories, w/3 boys :)

5 Christa the BabbyMama October 6, 2011 at 10:08 am

It’s not super embarrassing, but my 2.5 year old will loudly and whinely state “I WANT TO GO HOOOOOME!” in any situation.
Christa the BabbyMama´s last blog post ..After a Miscarriage, Birthdays, etc., Canceled Until Further Notice

6 Life Without Pink October 12, 2011 at 9:35 am

Oh mine have done that too especially after arriving at a friend’s house…I didn’t want to give them a complex, haha.

7 Steph October 6, 2011 at 11:01 am

I just wrote about one of my embarrassing moments. Happened in Target no less. http://www.agrandelife.net/2011/09/im-so-embarrassed-your-three-words.html

8 Life Without Pink October 12, 2011 at 9:35 am

Awesome, will head over to read!

9 YUMMommy October 6, 2011 at 11:44 am

Moo used to have the embarrassing habit of announcing when she used the bathroom in her diaper by saying “I doo-key mommy!” And it would seem that she always did this in public. I learned quickly not to cringe because she’s a toddler and they are unscripted 24/7.
YUMMommy´s last blog post ..Thankful Thursday

10 Life Without Pink October 12, 2011 at 9:36 am

Yes you are so right. I used to get embarrassed but now just “try” to laugh it off :)

11 Minivan Mama October 6, 2011 at 12:19 pm

My very sweet, quiet daughter chose to use her first curse word while at the mall at the top of her lungs (and in the right context, I must add). It was embarrassing but laughed all the way home.
Minivan Mama´s last blog post ..Overthinking Vampire?

12 Life Without Pink October 12, 2011 at 9:36 am

OMG I can imagine how embarrassing that would be! My son has done that but at home, whew!

13 Cam | Bibs & Baubles October 6, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Nothing comes to mind right away – but I know my time is coming! He’s making his way into his terrible two and I’ve seen a preview… it ain’t pretty!
Cam | Bibs & Baubles´s last blog post ..Dinner is Served

14 Life Without Pink October 12, 2011 at 9:36 am

Yes your time is coming…watch out, haha.

15 Jessica October 6, 2011 at 3:12 pm

So funny! Mine was climbing on a play toy at a science exhibit that made the sound of a heartbeat. He yelled “mom! This sounds like your boobs!”

16 Life Without Pink October 12, 2011 at 9:37 am

HAHA…that’s awesome!!!

17 Julie Anne Rhodes October 6, 2011 at 3:17 pm

My daughter, age five, didn’t like sharing the spotlight. She got right up close to a visiting friend’s face (the friend thought she was getting a hug hello), and Tatjana said “I don’t like you, please leave my house immediately.” It was embarrassing at the time, but you know what? She was right, that woman later proved not to be a good friend at all. I’ve trusted Tatjana’s first impression of people ever since.

18 Life Without Pink October 12, 2011 at 9:37 am

Wow good for her!

19 Weekend Cowgirl October 6, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Six year old kiddo just said his first “bad” word while we were at the store. I just kept walking not wanting to see who had heard.
Weekend Cowgirl´s last blog post ..Chili Ristras

20 Life Without Pink October 12, 2011 at 9:38 am

I know..it’s like you want to say, “that’s not my kid!” haha

21 Ann October 7, 2011 at 12:27 am

I can’t think of anything at the moment…but good for you for not worrying about it and good for your son for letting you know it was potty time!

22 Life Without Pink October 12, 2011 at 9:38 am

Yeah I’ve learned to embrace it…even if I get dirty looks!

23 Jessica October 7, 2011 at 2:01 am

Ha! My toddler was asking me to rub and/or kiss her butt for awhile. It was pretty embarrassing.

24 Life Without Pink October 12, 2011 at 9:38 am

OMG…kiss her butt, so funny!

25 Melinda-LooKWhatMomFound..and Dad too! October 7, 2011 at 8:55 pm

my kids are obsessed with bodily functions. We were in a public bathroom and in another stall a woman was doing her own business. My daughter yelled so loud “MOM, that lady just farted, now it stinks in here, I’m gonna go tell daddy”

good times!
Melinda-LooKWhatMomFound..and Dad too!´s last blog post ..Subway and The Lion King together Giveaway

26 Life Without Pink October 12, 2011 at 9:39 am

I am loving these stories…this is a classic!

27 Mychal B. October 8, 2011 at 10:30 am

When my oldest was just starting to talk he had a hard time with T words, they sounded more like F words. Imagine my embarrassment when he’s screaming about a truck in the middle of Toys R Us and it’s coming out sounding more like that extra special 4 letter f word that ends with a ck. Mortified!
Mychal B.´s last blog post ..Every child deserves a family.

28 Life Without Pink October 12, 2011 at 9:39 am

Oh my 5 yr old was like that too…I would have to tell people, “No he is really saying___.”….that’s great!

29 Rachel {at} Mommy Needs a Vacation October 10, 2011 at 9:40 am

Kids are great aren’t they??!!
Rachel {at} Mommy Needs a Vacation´s last blog post ..Saturday Morning Doughnuts

30 Life Without Pink October 12, 2011 at 9:39 am

Yes they are….I will miss it one day :)

31 Charlotte October 11, 2011 at 9:32 am

LMAO!!! Love this story :) And good for your son for feeling comfy enough in his skin to complain of an itchy butt!

32 Life Without Pink October 12, 2011 at 9:40 am

I know…he’s such a man already haha

33 Glamamom October 16, 2011 at 8:14 pm

LOL Tina. Kids are just so sweet and honest it’s hilarious. S isn’t much of a talker yet but biting other kids at the park is humiliating. He’ll also grab my face of start kicking me if I pick him up to leave. Lovely.
Glamamom´s last blog post ..YOOOOOOOOO GABBA GABBA LIVE