Advice for Moms of Boys {from the other side}

by Tina @ Life Without Pink on June 27, 2011

One of my good friends, Joe {from an all boy family}, is always giving me advice on how to handle boys. He often tells me that the chaos, wrestling, gross dinner table talk, etc. will never stop. EVER.

Today I am letting him take over my blog almost like the “older version” of my boys looking back at me. Laughing at the funny things I’ve done and how they tortured me through the years.

I will laugh…one day {at least that is what Joe tells me}.

*************************************************************

First, let me start by saying I know Tina.  Not like, as a follower on Twitter knows someone…but like, I actually knew of her before I even knew her.

You see, I worked with her dad (a GREAT guy, I must say, with Fathers Day just passing).  I would see him at work, and we would talk about how he was coaching his daughters in softball, etc.  Then, I also started working with the guy who would eventually become Tina’s husband, my co-workers’ son-in-law, and one of my best friends in the world.

So, yeah, even though we see each other at birthday parties (and that is not nearly enough, but we are all so busy nowadays that we just deal with it), I always like to hang out with Tina and her family.

When we all first found out that baby #2 was another boy, I advised Tina that she would just have to suck it up and become a “mom of boys”.  You see, my mom was “without pink” way back in the 70′s, before the internet and blogs and all that (NOTE: It probably wouldn’t have mattered, since people of the 70′s were too busy having rad, tricked out vans and listening to disco to waste time twittering of writing blogs).  Life was a party.

Anyway, here is my “top 5 things to know” for all the moms without pink…

5.  At one point or another, you will find yourself chasing your boys around the backyard with a wiffle ball bat, looking to whoop up on someone.  Please, do not allow yourself to do this.  You will likely not catch them, and they will mock you the rest of your life for it.

4.  They will probably have their own reality of their childhood.  Let’s say you feed them Bologna and Cheese every day because THEY like it.  Well, when they get to be a little older, they will use this against you as well, blaming you for being cheap, etc.

3.  Don’t make the mistake of being at, let’s say, a basketball game and saying something like, “Go ask Mrs. Dick where the balls are.”  This is another source of ammo for later in life, when your boys will make this their facebook status, and laugh at least once a week.

2.   Accept that your boys will be dirty.  Sometimes this means looking like a slob at a family function (this was never me, but always my brother.)…or farting at the dinner table (again, my brother), or maybe just foul language at bad times (NEVER me).  You just have to let it roll, be flexible.  Put on some disco or do *whatever they did in the ’60′s or ’70′s to relax and chill.

1.  You have to realize that above all else, your boys love you more than anything.  They only have one mom.  And yes, it can kinda suck for you sometimes because we love to torture you…but when it really matters, they will be there for you, ready to battle.

Oh, and one last thing.  No matter how badly you wanted to have a girl, PLEASE, PLEASE…DO NOT design and sew a purple dance outfit and send your son to dance class…even if he says he wants to do it at the time.

1 Alison@Mama Wants This June 27, 2011 at 7:40 am

Haha! Love this!

I have a boy and I can sure see all of this possibly happening in my future…
Alison@Mama Wants This´s last blog post ..Guest Star: Natalie from Mommy of a Monster and Twins

2 Life Without Pink June 27, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I know when I read this I totally can relate…scary to think what we do now they can make fun of us 20 years later, haha.

3 Barbara June 27, 2011 at 7:46 am

This was hysterical! Now I know what I have to look forward to in life!
Barbara´s last blog post ..Ode To Sweden

4 Life Without Pink June 27, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Joe is awesome! He is always giving me tips and words of wisdom.

5 Adrienne June 27, 2011 at 7:50 am

Oh, this is funny! I just know my kids will throw it in my face that all I ever gave to eat were ramen noodles.
Adrienne´s last blog post ..This week is looking up!

6 Life Without Pink June 27, 2011 at 9:25 pm

LOL love this! It is really funny to think that they will make fun of us, I’m sure they all do {in a loving way of course}.

7 Kmama June 27, 2011 at 8:16 am

Hahaha! This totally made me laugh. Growing up with 3 older brothers, I learned all of this. I guess that’s why I was saddled with two little boys of my own!
Kmama´s last blog post ..Thank You Very Much: The Retailer Edition

8 Life Without Pink June 27, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Oh girl you totally know what it’s like in a BOY world!

9 Anthony from CharismaticKid June 27, 2011 at 8:50 am

It’s funny actually. I know multiple moms that are hesitant about the dance thing, but because at three or four years old the boy wants to do it, she lets him suit up and get in there.

I just imagine how angry (or thankful) he’ll be when he’s older.
Anthony from CharismaticKid´s last blog post ..From Bored to Passionate: Projects That Will Take Your Children to Stardom

10 Life Without Pink June 27, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I love that his mom did this…probably because I know her in real life, it’s awesome!

11 Evonne June 27, 2011 at 8:58 am

This is too funny!

I can honestly say that I have done number 5 and it didn’t turn out well (for me). I’m trying to accept that my son will be forever dirty, but can someone please get him to stop torturing me with armpit farts?!
Evonne´s last blog post ..Easy as 1, 2, 3…4?

12 Life Without Pink June 27, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Oh girl I am with you….believe me the things that go on in a house full of boys is crazy! I am going to check out your post….can’t wait to read it!

13 Evonne June 27, 2011 at 9:00 am

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but my last blog post down there is a fine example of how, um, fun (interesting?) boys can be.
Evonne´s last blog post ..Easy as 1, 2, 3…4?

14 mommymommymommy June 27, 2011 at 9:05 am

Thaks for the laugh! My 8.5 year old son is constantly talking poop and fart jokes until his sisters and I want to scream! Nice to know that he will not grow out of it!
mommymommymommy´s last blog post ..Amusement Park and Water Park Discounts Do Exist!

15 Life Without Pink June 27, 2011 at 9:28 pm

And I am the only female in this house. It’s 3 against 1 so I just have to join in to survive, lol.

16 ThisMamaThing June 27, 2011 at 9:11 am

I was giggling til #1, at which point I teared up a bit :) Loved this. As a new boy mom, I’m bracing for the chaos and hoping to soak up every minute of the fun.
ThisMamaThing´s last blog post ..The Sunday Blues

17 Life Without Pink June 27, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I know a mom and son relationship is so precious!

18 Kelly June 27, 2011 at 9:14 am

Noted! Mine have done most of the things on the list and I can say that the older they get the more disgusting they become!! My 12 year old stands behind me (he’s my height) and pretends to spit in my hair. I always fall for it! Oh and the belching – repulsive!! They will battle for me though…. :)
Kelly´s last blog post ..A few goals while we wait…

19 Life Without Pink June 27, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Oh no don’t tell me that!! I am cracking up at the ‘pretending to spit in my hair’, I can totally see this happening to me!

20 Rita/Fighting off Frumpy June 27, 2011 at 9:17 am

Love this!!! As the mom of three boys, there are definitely times when I feel overloaded with male-ness … but when it comes right down to it, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Great post! :)

21 Life Without Pink June 27, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Me either!

22 Jessica June 27, 2011 at 1:42 pm

This is great, with two little boys I’m becoming more and more of a “boy mom” every day. I’m trying really hard to like the dirt and the wrestling and the poop-talk.
Jessica´s last blog post ..The Hot Seat

23 Life Without Pink June 27, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I know it is hard believe me…..I’ve trained my boys to take their shoes off when they walk in the door and now my oldest hates finger painting because he gets dirty. Great!

24 julie gardner June 27, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Awesome advice…
Funny, sweet, and (from my limited experience so far) accurate.

I was one of two girls. My mother was one of two girls. Her mother was one of five girls.
There were no boys on the female side for three generations.

So when I had a boy, I gulped. Hard. I didn’t know about pee on the toilet seat or scratching nuts (cough) or armpit farts.

I’m still learning.
And loving every minute of it.

Of course, I did end up with a girl next.
(poor thing.)

:-)

25 Life Without Pink June 27, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Yeah boys are TOTALLY different than girls. I am still learning and my oldest is 5!

26 Chris June 27, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Joe, what a great blog…. knowing Joe and his family this was a really great chuckle. what your mom has put up with all these years…. Im taking that lady out for dinner!!! Great job Joe, you should consider joining the blogging world…..

27 Life Without Pink June 27, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I know he rocked this post!

28 The Informal Martriarch June 27, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I think this has made me even MORE scared than I initially was.

Being a mom of boys, I’ve learned on thing: Boys. Never. Stop.

I forgot that they’re going to make fun of me when I’m older, I really did feel like chasing my little one around the back yard with his plastic baseball bat today…but I didn’t. Phew.
The Informal Martriarch´s last blog post ..Progressing Through Autism: The Dentist

29 Life Without Pink June 27, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I know why don’t boys know how to be quiet? From the moment they wake up its game on! I know I’ll be the butt of many jokes!

30 Nikki O June 27, 2011 at 10:07 pm

This was great! I’m also a mom with boys and at least 5 times a week I think, wow, this is how boys are. I can’t be certain since I don’t have girls, but I’m thinking that girls don’t think it’s the best thing in the world to be naked. No I take that back, naked running around and around in circles around the living room yelling at the top of their lungs when you just want to get them dressed for the day :b
Nikki O´s last blog post ..Storybook Land- Great Jersey Family Attraction!

31 Tina @ Life Without Pink June 28, 2011 at 7:54 pm

OMG so glad to hear I’m not alone! My boys LOVE running around naked and they are hard to catch :)
Tina @ Life Without Pink´s last blog post ..Advice for Moms of Boys {from the other side}

32 molly June 27, 2011 at 10:26 pm

OMG! I was laughing so hard I snorted! As a mom of boys I am so grateful for the advice. I feel like a will be tortured but I do hope they love me anyway ;)
molly´s last blog post ..let’s all go to the movies!

33 Tina @ Life Without Pink June 28, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Yes they do love their momma’s that’s why they torture us!

34 Jessica June 28, 2011 at 12:05 am

Although I’m obviously no mom of boys, I totally think that Joe is onto something, Tina. If I were you, I’d take his advice. Just sayin’. ;)

35 Tina @ Life Without Pink June 28, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Unfortunately I think you are right!

36 Kimberly June 28, 2011 at 12:58 am

OMG I was laughing so hard through this! I’m a mom of 3 boys (God help me!) and this was like a glimpse into my future! Maybe we should just suck it up and take his advice! :)
Kimberly´s last blog post ..My Incredible “Journey”

37 Tina @ Life Without Pink June 28, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Yeah I think we should…but I have to let you in on a little secret…Joe’s mom is one that I seriously look up to. She has a close relationship with her boys, she hangs out with her daughter-in-laws all the time and she is so adventurous! You have to be one of the boys to survive!

38 Joe June 29, 2011 at 5:34 am
39 Practical Parenting June 28, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I have one of each, but I loved this!

40 Tina @ Life Without Pink June 28, 2011 at 8:16 pm

If you have one, then you understand :)

41 liz June 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Uh oh…purple dance outfits? Someone’s still traumatized!
liz´s last blog post ..The Marriage between Privacy and the Internet

42 Tina @ Life Without Pink June 29, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I know….I think he still hasn’t gotten over it!

43 SaucyB June 29, 2011 at 7:23 am

oh that ‘s too funny. I’m a mom of a 6 y.o. litte boy and he’s enough to keep me on my toes all by himsel. He discovered a snakeskin in our backyard. He knows i’m TERRIFIED of snakes. that little bugger chased me with that thing so bad I had run across our street for refuge and yell to my husband for help.

SaucyB’s last blog… S’more Please
SaucyB´s last blog post ..(Mostly) Wordless Wednesday: S’mores

44 Tina @ Life Without Pink June 29, 2011 at 9:19 pm

OMG girl that is too funny! Sorry I can totally relate…now my oldest squeals at bugs haha.

45 Megan (Best of Fates) June 29, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I have a strange desire to hit someone with a wiffle bat.

That’s probably going to end poorly.

46 Tina @ Life Without Pink June 29, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Yes I think it might…you are too funny!

47 Glamamom June 29, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I have a really hard time with number 2. I’m still holding out for some pink though…;)
Glamamom´s last blog post ..FIRST FISH…

48 Tina @ Life Without Pink June 29, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Yes…but I have to say seeing them play together {when they aren’t fighting} is so darn cute especially when I hear “You are my best friend”. Totally melts my heart!

49 Stacy June 30, 2011 at 1:38 pm

That was too funny! :) I can appreciate this, I have two boys and also a home preschool with only boys. If I had a dollar for every time that I said, “No potty talk” or “We don’t shoot guns at our friends” I would be a millionaire!! :)

Stacy
Stacy´s last blog post ..Friday Favorites: How to Create a Kindle Book

50 Staying Afloat July 3, 2011 at 2:57 pm

What a great post! As a mom of three boys it’s nice to see into the future a bit. I can relate to the feeling of wanting to (but never actually DOING IT) “whoop up on someone” with a whiffle bat. Especially when I catch them trying to pee behind our shrubs in the backyard, or trying to use eachother as target practice for thier ever changing karate moves when none of them have every taken karate. Thanks for the laugh!