Behind Every Door Is A Story

by Tina @ Life Without Pink on May 2, 2011

A few weeks ago, I was out doing errands with my mom and boys. As we were passing by a street filled with homes my mom said to me, “You know, behind every door is a story.”

Photo Credit; www.sterling-construction.org

I live in the same town that I grew up in and the other day I drove by an old friend’s home. His Dad was outside doing yard work and that’s when that statement hit me hard.

Three years ago, he lost his wife. I remember because it was the same day my son turned two.

Seeing him outside trying to carry on with life, made me realize you just never know what people are going through or the hardships they are dealing with.

So many times in life we judge people for the things they do, money they make or the way they look.

I’ve always been a pretty compassionate person and have always tried to get to know people for who they really are inside.

I was the girl in high school that had friends from all different walks of life and I really feel this has helped me become the person I am today.

Now as a parent, I realize how important it is to teach my boys to never judge or make fun of someone. I want them to be compassionate, caring men with a good heart…..because you never know the story behind the door.

1 The Mommyologist May 2, 2011 at 8:27 am

This is just SO true. You never know what is truly going on in someone’s life unless you are in their shoes. Things may look picture perfect on the outside, while inside they are struggling. I definitely want to teach my son not to judge people too!
The Mommyologist´s last blog post ..My Super Sexy Bedroom Life

2 Tina @ Life Without Pink May 2, 2011 at 3:26 pm

You are so right! And lots of people put up fronts, at times I wish they would just let you “in” to help :)
Tina @ Life Without Pink´s last blog post ..Behind Every Door Is A Story

3 Alison@Mama Wants This May 2, 2011 at 8:37 am

You are so right. Our society seems to be extremely judgey these days. No one is thin enough, pretty enough, rich enough, smart enough, good enough wife or mother and the list goes on.

Your boys have a great future ahead, as they have a mom with her head squarely on her shoulders!
Alison@Mama Wants This´s last blog post ..How @Twitter has RuinedMyLife

4 Tina @ Life Without Pink May 2, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Thank you so much! I want my boys to be happy with who they are and proud :)
Tina @ Life Without Pink´s last blog post ..Behind Every Door Is A Story

5 Stephanie May 2, 2011 at 8:43 am

You are so right. This is also how I am trying to raise my kids.
Stephanie´s last blog post ..I just don’t get…

6 Evonne May 2, 2011 at 8:51 am

You’re right. Many people are quick to judge and many people are quick to put up a wall to hide what’s really going on.
Evonne´s last blog post ..I will survive

7 Tina @ Life Without Pink May 2, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Exactly…instead of letting you in to help or be there for them.
Tina @ Life Without Pink´s last blog post ..Behind Every Door Is A Story

8 Sheila @ Pieces of a Mom May 2, 2011 at 9:04 am

So true. I think that we, as parents, have an obligation to our children to teach them compassion and empathy. Judgement can begin at a very early age. The sooner we direct children away from that kind of behavior, the better off they will be. Great post!
Sheila @ Pieces of a Mom´s last blog post ..The Royal Wedding

9 Tina @ Life Without Pink May 2, 2011 at 3:28 pm

You are right! Imagine if we all did that…this world would be full of compassionate people!
Tina @ Life Without Pink´s last blog post ..Behind Every Door Is A Story

10 Angel May 2, 2011 at 9:24 am

I learned that lesson many times in my life. Looks can be deceiving which I have seen time and time again..
Angel´s last blog post ..Strut my stuff with naughty mommy

11 Tina @ Life Without Pink May 2, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I agree…never judge a book by its cover!
Tina @ Life Without Pink´s last blog post ..Behind Every Door Is A Story

12 BethP May 2, 2011 at 9:27 am

Such an important lesson! Sometimes it is so hard to remember that EVERYONE is dealing with something, but it is true, and we just never know.
BethP´s last blog post ..Photo Tales Feature- Tinas Place!

13 Tina @ Life Without Pink May 2, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I know we all get caught up in our own lives…I try to step back and remember this.
Tina @ Life Without Pink´s last blog post ..Behind Every Door Is A Story

14 sheila May 2, 2011 at 10:24 am

A very insightful thought indeed! Lovely post, and so true! I’ve raised mine the same and it’s just a beautiful thing. We need more parents to do the same.
sheila´s last blog post ..Reflections of May

15 A Mommy in the City May 2, 2011 at 11:20 am

This is so true! I hope that I am teaching my daughter the same way! Thanks for the much needed reminder.
A Mommy in the City´s last blog post ..The End of a Terrorist- Osama Bin Laden is Dead

16 Tina @ Life Without Pink May 2, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I am sure you are!

17 blueviolet @ A Nut in a Nutshell May 2, 2011 at 11:32 am

That is so true! I tried to teach my kids not to judge people by their vehicles also.
blueviolet @ A Nut in a Nutshell´s last blog post ..When the Rubber Hits the Road

18 Tina @ Life Without Pink May 2, 2011 at 3:30 pm

You are right! Because some of them have a sentimental value :)

19 Jenn @ Gaffney's Gabs May 2, 2011 at 11:36 am

What a very true statement Tina. I was raised that way, and try to be very cognizant of keeping that belief alive every day. There needs to be more people in the world that think like that, that not only say that when they feel someone is being critical of them, but all the time. I find a lot of people I know are quick, to say “well that person should walk a mile in my shoes”, but maybe it’s the other person’s shoes that they should be walking in. Kindness, acceptance, and understanding compassion are often rarities it seems.
Jenn @ Gaffney’s Gabs´s last blog post ..Aloha Friday – Weddings!

20 Tina @ Life Without Pink May 2, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Jenn couldn’t agree with you more! I know you are a very caring person!

21 Courtney @ The Mommy Matters May 2, 2011 at 1:51 pm

So, so, so true! I remember growing up hearing that you need to a walk a mile in someone else’s shoes before you judge them. Someone else is always fighting a harder battle than we are. And it’s so important to teach our children that things aren’t always the way that they seem on the outside.
Courtney @ The Mommy Matters´s last blog post ..“No Mom Talk” Facelift

22 Tina @ Life Without Pink May 2, 2011 at 3:32 pm

When I am having a really bad day I try to stop myself and think, “Is it really that bad?” It puts it back into perspective for me.

23 Mandy@asortafairytale May 2, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Such a great post!! This is so true. I hope I can raise my son to be thoughtful and selfless. It’s so easy to misjudge people, and criticize, never bothering to find out their story. But when you take the time, usually you’ll find that they are amazing human beings. Thanks for this!
Mandy@asortafairytale´s last blog post ..PNW photowalk Anyone

24 Tina @ Life Without Pink May 2, 2011 at 3:33 pm

YES!!! I have met incredible people just by opening up and getting to know them better. I couldn’t agree with you more!

25 Dalia May 2, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I hate to repeat what everyone else has said but IT IS SO TRUE. You never really know what is going on behind closed doors nor do you know people’s stories…and almost everyone has one. However, I do think it is easier said than done to raise our kids without this way of thinking. We can certainly do our best (as I am attempting) but it is no easy challenge in this world we live in :).

26 Tina @ Life Without Pink May 2, 2011 at 3:33 pm

It’s not you are right. As long as we give them the guidance, we hope they will grow up to be compassionate. Parenting is the hardest job ever!

27 Kim May 2, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Very well said! I strive to teach my boys the same thing…I strive to teach some of the adults around me too:) I just found your blog and have been looking around. I too am a mom to two boys (3.5 and almost one). Oh the energy. Anyway, I’ll be back!
Kim´s last blog post ..The graduate and his pizza recipe

28 Life Without Pink May 3, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Oh love meeting moms of boys :) Thanks for stopping by and I’ll be over to say Hi!

29 liz May 2, 2011 at 4:37 pm

It’s a very good reminder to all of us. We don’t know what really is going on in anyone’s life – for better or worse.

30 Life Without Pink May 3, 2011 at 4:14 pm

You are so right! Never judge period.

31 Charlotte May 2, 2011 at 4:45 pm

You are absolutely right, and I think you are teaching your boys such an invaluable lesson, Tina. You never know someone’s story unless you make the effort to get to know them a bit better. You are such a wonderful role model to them :)
Charlotte´s last blog post ..Featured Blogger Week over at Blogger Body Calendar

32 Life Without Pink May 3, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Thank you very much. I try, I have to admit its a hard job though!

33 Jessica May 2, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Very true. Every person has their own story and if you judge them based on what you see on the outside you will never learn about who they really are.
Jessica´s last blog post ..Another Recap

34 Life Without Pink May 3, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Yes, I love learning about everyone. Each person teaches me something new!

35 Betsy at Zen Mama May 2, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Judging is human nature. But when it occurs I try to stop and think about what is happening in someone’s life. This is especially good if you’re a teacher. You often wonder about the children that are in my charge for a year. So much goes on behind the scenes.

36 Life Without Pink May 3, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Yes I am sure! You are right, everyone judges BUT seeing past that is what really matters.

37 Kir May 3, 2011 at 9:17 am

oh Tina, this was gorgeous…giving your boys a “moral compass” . I love how you are raising those gorgeous boys and giving us such a great model to follow. Inspriring ….thank you.
Kir´s last blog post ..Perfect Moment Monday- Being Me

38 Life Without Pink May 3, 2011 at 10:41 am

Thank you so much, very sweet!

39 Wendy from Wendys Hat May 3, 2011 at 10:01 am

I love that thought!

40 Life Without Pink May 3, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Thanks!!!

41 Heather @Theta Mom May 3, 2011 at 10:33 am

Tried to comment before, trying again since I added my name here…

42 Ryan Slevin May 3, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Have you read The Little Buddha’s post today about being kind? Totally in keeping with what you wrote (so beautifully) here. It’s easier to be kind to some than it is to others, no?
Ryan Slevin´s last blog post ..New Baby Manifesto

43 Life Without Pink May 3, 2011 at 4:16 pm

No but I want to check it out. Yes true….but I do try to be as polite as I can :)

44 Melissa {adventuroo} May 3, 2011 at 3:43 pm

This is SO true. I’ve heard the story before (don’t know if its true) about the dad who was letting his kids go wild on the subway. People were staring and making comments to one another when someone finally spoke up and told the dad they couldn’t believe he’d let his kids act like that. The dad looked up and told them “We’re on the way back from the hospital where they just lost their mother. I’m having a hard time knowing how to react too.”

Frick- just writing that out makes me cry. Great post, Tina. We shouldn’t judge a book by its cover.
Melissa {adventuroo}´s last blog post ..Swimming Through

45 Life Without Pink May 3, 2011 at 4:17 pm

OMG Melissa I just got chills! Wow this really puts it into perspective thanks for sharing.

46 Tania Stenzel May 3, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Ok, Melissa’s comment gave me chills too!

I am a firm believer in this too. We get a lot of looks when Aiden has his tantrums in public. It got so bad that we haven’t gone out to dinner together for a few months. Which is hard, we like to reward ourselves with a night out.
People would look at us like we didn’t know how to “control” our child, or would mumble under their breath “that that kid needs some discipline.” They don’t understand that sometimes he just can’t help it, that sometimes the crowds overwhelm him, and that he can only sit still for so long.
You really don’t know everyone’s back story…and sometimes you just need to reach out and ask if they need some help.
Thank you for the reminder.
Tania Stenzel´s last blog post ..Thoughtful Thursday

47 Paula@Simply Sandwich May 3, 2011 at 5:01 pm

This is so true! When life gets so busy it is easy to forget that there are huge loads that others deal with seamlessly. Thanks for the reminder to keep this fresh in my mind! :)
Paula@Simply Sandwich´s last blog post ..Summer Prep 101

48 Ann May 3, 2011 at 5:25 pm

One of my favorite quotes is – Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I try very hard to live by these words. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I don’t. I have a little boy too (with another on the way) and I want to him to learn by example and know what true compassion is. Being the example is hard sometimes. Admitting when you could have done something differently is harder. I am finding the older my son gets the more aware I am of my actions.

Great post!

49 JDaniel4's Mom May 3, 2011 at 9:08 pm

JDaniel sees all people as the same I need to make sure that I don’t teach him anything different.

50 Glamamom May 3, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Oh I agree. Compassion is the greatest thing you can teach your children.
Glamamom´s last blog post ..BAKING SODA BEAUTY TIPS