One More Time

I quietly sat down on his bed and lowered myself so we were face to face.

His breathing was steady and calm.

I wanted to take this moment to really study him. To remember his tiny nose, perfect skin and long beautiful eyelashes.

I sat on the bed for quite some time as he laid peacefully sleeping.

And I just stared thinking, Where did the time go?

I feel as though his baby years were such a blur.

There isn’t a time that I don’t remember him keeping right up with his bigger brother.

Yet he is still so tiny.

I am sad to think that he will be my last baby and I am trying to soak up the time we have together.

I know years down the line I will look back and want to relive this very moment.

Just one more time.

Comments

1. says

I completely feel for you. I’m going through that with my youngest right now. He’s 3, but always trying to keep up with his brother who is almost 7. He was always trying to keep up, do more, etc. I feel like his baby years weren’t really spent with him being a baby.

Beautiful post.

2. says

It flies, it sure does.
    Life was keeping us busy with moves around the country with new challenges and a crazy life … and my girls were growing – too fast.
    … now I want to stop time, keep them here, with me :(

3. says

I think that every mom can relate to this feeling. In a blink of an eye the time has passed so quickly and they’re teenagers and you wonder what happened and if you’ve missed something.
    Jackie´s last blog post ..My Best Friend

4. says

My smallest is 3, almost 4. Every lil thing he’s grown out of, or grown past (like bottles, paci, diapers, etc.) makes me a tiny bit sad I won’t be having another. don’t get me wrong, we’re DONE w/ 2…but those little baby squawks and smells and sizes. Love them.
    MommaKiss´s last blog post ..Whos gotta go 2

5. says

You are making me cry. Because I have been going through this a lot lately. I don’t want it to be, but I’m terrified this may be my last one. And I can’t bear to think about it. Do all you mommies feel this way?
    Melissa´s last blog post ..lilacs and love

6. says

Oh, this post breaks my heart! I think the same things all the time. I try to cherish each moment because ose mments literally don’t last!

7. says

Every couple of months I have a moment when I look at one of my children and think “what happened? When all of sudden did they change from one stage to the next?”
    Right now it is my girls. My oldest is all of sudden “developing” and I find myself constantly sucking back a breath when I pause to look at her. My baby just seems to have all her babiness melting away. Now she is all kid.
    I miss my babies…

8. says

Oh I completely agree. My youngest will be 2 in a little over a month and I am already not taking it well. He is supposed to be a BABY and two just isn’t baby enough for me.
    Sigh, we will get through it and have great, wonderful boys who love their mommies.
    Jessica´s last blog post ..The Hot Seat

9. says

i let those moments slip by too quickly with my first child, i’m determined not to do that again with my second (& last)

10. Leighann says

Oh I feel this way too. I stare at my daughter and wonder where time has gone. I can’t believe it goes so fast. I try to soak up ever second of her.