Accepting Motherhood

by Tina @ Life Without Pink on March 21, 2011

After becoming a Mom I’ve slowly learned to accept;

~ That while my kids are with me, I’ll never eat a full meal again.

~ That I won’t have a good night’s sleep until my boys are married. So in another 25 years I can finally get some rest.

~ That I am not a size two anymore and I can stop trying to squeeze myself into my pre-kid jeans.

~ With two boys, the house will never be clean or spot free again.

~ As soon as I pick up the telephone to make a call I can fully expect someone will need me, something will get broken or a fight will break out. Every.Single.Time.

~ That I will have approximately ten minutes {if I’m lucky} to get ready each morning.

~ When I finally get the chance to go shopping for myself, I’ll come home with bags full of stuff for the boys and nothing {sadly} for me.

~ That it is ok I’m driving around in a mom mobile and will occasionally be referred to as a “soccer mom”.

~ When I decide to get up extra early in order to get a few things done, someone will ALWAYS wake up five minutes later. I swear they have radar on me!

~ To never have privacy in the bathroom again.

~ When I finally get the chance to dress up, I can always expect to find a stain on my clothes somewhere.

~ That I no longer control the TV. If it’s not the boys taking over then its my hubby. And three against one, I will always lose.

~ Even though life is crazy and full of twists and turns, I would never change it for the world!

So now it’s your turn, what have you learned to “accept” after becoming a mom?

1 Galit Breen March 21, 2011 at 8:07 am

Love this lady! And all so very true!

That radar thing? There’s so something to that- they *always* know!

And as for my addition to the list? Messy is the new ready-to-host!

Great post! :)
Galit Breen´s last blog post ..The Red Dress Club- Detour

2 Kmama March 21, 2011 at 8:18 am

The only reason I have more than 10 minutes to get ready is because I get up a full half hour before any one else needs to be up. I can’t wait until I only have me to be responsible for…but then I’ll really miss these crazy days!
Kmama´s last blog post ..The Mom Cold

3 Maryse Senecal March 21, 2011 at 8:19 am

there’s alot to be said for what your wrote.. i love all this… yet there’s another side to this. Like you i raised boys, they are now grown and have moved away for post-education studies.
The thing is is, by the time the youngest was 10, all of those points had pretty much disappeared, it doesn’t really take 25 years. Boys will forever be in love with their mom, will always prefer to come home for her cooking, will stand by each other just because they can, and at the end of the day, they are true protectors when it comes to their mom… they don’t fight as much with you in teenage years, they tend to want to fight with their dad (who always wins by the way!)… love that life is good! thanks for posting, you’ve brought me back a few years!

4 JDaniel4's Mom March 21, 2011 at 8:21 am

JDaniel needs privacy to use the bathroom but, mom isn’t allowed too. How did this happen.
JDaniel4′s Mom´s last blog post ..Once Upon a Sugar Tree- Bottle Cap Pendant Giveaway

5 The Mommyologist March 21, 2011 at 8:22 am

This is all SO SO true! It’s funny…my little dude was up quite a bit last night (pink eye) and this morning I sat here and thought that I might as well just give up on ever expecting a good night’s sleep for the next 15 years or whatever!
The Mommyologist´s last blog post ..A Life’s Manual For New Dads- Read This If You Ever Want To Get Laid Again

6 Nicole@MTDLBlog March 21, 2011 at 8:30 am

This is a great post! I went shopping yesterday and came home with clothes for my girls and shampoo for me….LOL.
Nicole@MTDLBlog´s last blog post ..Easier Said Than Done – Part Two

7 Sarah March 21, 2011 at 8:30 am

Your list & my list are pretty much the same. I have a boy and a girl though.

8 Katy @ Dim Sum Debutante March 21, 2011 at 8:39 am

So true! My shopping bags now hold only tutus and maryjanes, but I’m okay with that. She looks much better in them than I would. ;)

9 SaucyB March 21, 2011 at 8:46 am

Oh I so hear you on the phone calls and the getting up early. It never fails, whenever i get up early to get some extra blog or volunteer work done on the computer, little man comes wandering into the kitchen two minutes later. I’ve actually started avoiding certain steps on our hard word stairs to keep them from creaking!

10 Sarah @ Raising Boys March 21, 2011 at 9:34 am

Ha! This is pretty much spot on to my life. (I kind hope it’s not 25 years before I get a good night’s sleep though!)
Sarah @ Raising Boys´s last blog post ..A deeper shade of green

11 Elena @NaynaDub March 21, 2011 at 9:48 am

Great list! I agree with the shopping one. Recently a friend and I went out for happy hour and we left the restaurant and our happy hour behind to go shopping for our kids. WTF! I would add that you’ll never have a truly lazy Saturday again. Also, even if your kids aren’t with you (if they’re at grandma’s, etc.) you will always worry about them – even if they are out of sight.
Elena @NaynaDub´s last blog post ..Sunday’s Time Out Recipe Challenge

12 Evonne March 21, 2011 at 11:05 am

Your list is spot on! Even if us moms do get a full meal in, it’s never hot! My 1 boy can make a horrible mess. I can’t imagine having 2 of him.
Evonne´s last blog post ..A Good Deal

13 Adelle @ ready...GO!...get set March 21, 2011 at 11:06 am

Oh, this is my life, too! Really all of it, but especially the TV:

“I no longer control the TV. If it’s not the boys taking over then its my hubby. And three against one, I will always lose.”

If it’s not “Dinosaur Train” then it’s “Build it Bigger.” LIfe as a boy-mom!
Adelle @ ready…GO!…get set´s last blog post ..Gratitude Monday

14 Jaime @James & Jax March 21, 2011 at 11:19 am

I’m glad you wrote this post and I read it today. I’ve really REALLY been struggling lately with not being able to eat a hot dinner (after I worked so hard to make it) or use the bathroom in peace (c’mon, it’s only 30 seconds!). My son is 19 months old. As much as I love being with him, I crave 5 minutes here and there just to myself. I swear there is SO much I could do in just 5 minutes without a toddler!

Anyway, I’m glad to read it’s not just my toddler who makes life a little more challenging & less relaxing–but also way more awesome at the same time!

15 Courtney K. March 21, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I agree with the radar thing. Happens to me 9 out of 10 mornings. I think my addition would have to be that no matter what you do, you are ALWAYS going to have to step over and dodge toys in the shower. We tend to find racecars, balls, legos and other random objects in our bathtub. :)
Courtney K.´s last blog post ..Projects &amp Cookies

16 blueviolet @ A Nut in a Nutshell March 21, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Half the time when the kids were little, I’m not even sure I ate meals!
blueviolet @ A Nut in a Nutshell´s last blog post ..The Day We Tried to Buy a Wii Changed My Life

17 Shell March 21, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Ha, so true!

Though, I do usually have privacy in the bathroom. I do insist on that one.

18 carina March 21, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I am so with you on all of these. Great post.

And remember – there will never again be a cup of coffee that doesn’t have to be reheated before you finish it.
carina´s last blog post ..the boy

19 Rachel {at} Mommy Needs a Vacation March 21, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Ha! All so true! I have learned to accept that I never get a private shower anymore- unless I take one at midnight.
Rachel {at} Mommy Needs a Vacation´s last blog post ..Magic Powers Please

20 Rose March 25, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Even if I try taking a shower at midnight someone is sure to wake up and need me!
Rose´s last blog post ..Early Planting

21 MommaKiss March 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm

a) i posted about my “clean” house today. PUHLEEZE! Disastah!
b) privacy in the bathroom? not unless you get 15 kinds of locks, and then you’ll still see fingers coming thru the bottom
c) i wouldn’t trade it either. *most* days ;)
MommaKiss´s last blog post ..The state of things

22 Mommyfriend March 21, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Oh, you are so very right. Nail on the head Mama. My fav: “That I won’t have a good night’s sleep until my boys are married. So in another 25 years I can finally get some rest.”
Mommyfriend´s last blog post ..I’ve Had a Little Work Done

23 Amy ~ Eat. Live. Laugh. Shop. March 21, 2011 at 3:12 pm

So true! I do miss privacy . . . in the bathroom and in general! I’d be happy just to brush my teeth without interruption!
Amy ~ Eat. Live. Laugh. Shop.´s last blog post ..An open letter to the Internet

24 (Mostly) Healthy Mom March 21, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Love this list. For me at this point (my son is 19 months), I have also learned to accept that the end of the meal is signified by the throwing of food from the high chair. Hoping I can cross that one off soon!
(Mostly) Healthy Mom´s last blog post ..Spinach Pierogi Soup

25 Melissa (Confessions of a Dr.Mom) March 21, 2011 at 3:33 pm

These are great and so right on Tina! I too have accepted that sleep will be elusive until the kids are up and out :)
Melissa (Confessions of a Dr.Mom)´s last blog post ..Where is the lovehormone

26 liz March 21, 2011 at 4:30 pm

These are all really good! I would really love to sleep in. Or be able to have quiet if I want. Or watch whatever I want on TV.
liz´s last blog post ..My Personal Love-Hate Relationship

27 Tammy March 21, 2011 at 9:16 pm

All of these points are so true… Glad to know I am not alone in “motherhood”

28 Glamamom March 21, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I refuse to accept that sleep thing. Devastating ;) And so true about the spots on clothes!! He he
Glamamom´s last blog post ..HAPPY ST PATRICK’S DAY

29 Stacie @ CrazyMomLife March 22, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Great list!!!

~ I’m no Martha Stewart or June Cleaver, but that’s okay
~ That as much as I love my kids, there will be times when they are not happy with me.
~ That as great as I think my kids are, they aren’t perfect
~ That as much as I want to control every piece of their lives, one of my biggest jobs as a mom is to give my kids the tools they need to survive on their own
~ That raising honorable, responsible, respectful human being with integrity is TOUGH – I only hope I can do as decent a job as my own parents did
~ Having more kids doesn’t mean that you have more help to keep the house cleaner lol
~ That not spoiling your kids is a lot harder than I thought it would be
~ That my kids respond so much more to what I do, not what I say
Stacie @ CrazyMomLife´s last blog post ..How About 40

30 Kisma March 22, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I love the bathroom and sleep comment.

Great post!!!!
Kisma´s last blog post ..The house that was forgotten

31 Mom March 23, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Just wanted to correct one thing, just because they are married doesn’t mean you will sleep better, you just worry more about them and their family…… your sleeping days ARE OVER!!!!

But, you are right…… twists and change are a good think and I would never ever change it for anything

and Nicole ** shampoo can be a good thing!!

Luv yah!!

32 Dalia April 2, 2011 at 4:20 pm

All very true! Imagine how quiet and ‘boring’ things will be once they are grown – kind of sad!

33 Ryan Slevin May 3, 2011 at 3:06 pm

The only time I was ever a size 2 was in my dreams. ;)
Ryan Slevin´s last blog post ..New Baby Manifesto