A Terrifying Moment

Have you ever been in a situation before that scared you so bad you felt frozen inside?

Last week on our long drive {10 hours to be exact} to Myrtle Beach I had one of those experiences that literally shook me to my core.

Around 1am we made a quick pit stop so that I could use the restroom and my hubby could stretch his legs.

There weren’t too many rest stops left, so we took the first exit we saw that had a few gas stations and convenient stores. My parents were following us and we stopped in front of a little store that had a few cars and people inside.

Thinking we were in a pretty good area my dad and I ran into the store to use the restroom, which was located in the back of the store.

A few minutes later I was done and started to walk back through the store to the front door.

Out of the corner of my eyes, I could see a few shady looking guys and I got this awful sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I tried walking as quickly as I could without picking up my head to look around.  I instantly felt like something was not right.

As I approached the door, I saw a black souped up car with shiny new rims slowly pass the front of the store.

The guy in the passenger seat was leaning out the window with his head resting on his hands looking at us.

I have seen this scene before.

It was just like in the movies right before there was a shoot out or robbery.

I remember thinking to myself  “this is not happening” and “I need to get my family out of here now!”

I quickly made my way outside where my Dad was standing. Under my breath I said to him, “Get in the car. Let’s go now!”

My mom was standing by my car which was a few spaces over. I said the same thing to her and she looked frightened like she just saw a ghost.

One of the men, started walking in front of my car very slowly and was trying to gesture to my husband to come over.

As my mom walked over to her car, I remember silently praying, “Please let my mom make it to the car safely. Please God.”

I don’t think she was fully in the car when my Dad started to back up.

Thankfully we all made it out of there in one piece.

Once we were finally on the highway, my hubby had told me that when I went into the store, he had left the car running and walked around to the other side of the car to get a drink out of the cooler.

He said that is when he noticed the first “shady” looking guy walk in front of the car.

I know what that guy was thinking.

We were obviously traveling, had money on us and the car was running while no one was in the driver’s seat.

He probably was already mapping out how he was going to either take our car or rob us.

Luckily, my husband is very street smart and is always aware of his surroundings.

Instead of walking around the car, he got into the passenger seat, locked the doors and jump across to the driver’s seat.

The “shady” guy kept motioning to him to come over but my hubby never looked directly at him.

As we drove away, I was so disturbed and upset.

I kept thinking:

What if that man jumped into the car where my babies were strapped inside?

What if the other shady guys in the car opened fire?

What if someone attacked me while walking out of the door? Or attacked someone in my family?

Everything that could of gone wrong literally haunted me for the next few hours.

To this day, I thank God for keeping my family safe and getting us out of that situation unharmed.

To read more bloggers pouring their hearts out stop on over at Things I Can’t Say!

Comments

1. says

That is just SO scary!!! I am so glad that you all got out of there ok. I would’ve been so freaked out. You can totally tell when people are up to no good. I’ve been in semi-similar situations before and it is so hard to get them out of your head!

2. says

My heart was pounding as I read that. I’m always so worried that something like that will happen when we are traveling.

I’m glad that you were all okay.

And I’m so glad that you linked up. I’m traveling with 2 of my boys today and I need to remember to really pay attention.

3. says

I got the chilly willies just reading that! I hate those kinds of situations where you’re just SURE something terrible is going to happen and even after it doesn’t, you can’t stop thinking about it. It’s a good thing your hubby made some wise choices and you were paying enough attention to get out safely.
    .-= Lindsay @ Just My Blog´s last blog ..10 Reasons Why I Love My Husband =-.

4. says

scary indeed! Ya know when we get those gut feelings about something I think thats Gods way of talking to us, He was there with you and your family and lead you out of harms way. :) Glad everything turned out alright
    .-= Brittney´s last blog ..Dear Dad =-.

5. says

That is frighting and one can never be to careful when taking long road trips. In all our travels back and forth from Texas to Colorado, I had a map in my head of all the “trusted” rest stops/ gas stations and even then it was still scary.

I am super glad nothing happened but truely understand the uneasy feeling it leaves.
    .-= Kisma´s last blog ..Getting to Know You… =-.

6. says

That’s nuts and so glad you all drove away safe. I’ve had a few moments of “please help me god” and it’s no fun. you’ll never forget it but learn from it right?!

My heart was going a mile a minute. So glad I didn’t read anything bad!

7. Danielle says

HOLY MOLY that is horrifying and I’m so impressed that you all stuck to your instincts and aborted that situation asap!:) Omg I was terrified just reading your blog.

8. says

Wow! I don’t even think I would stop at any store that late. I am a really, really cautious and paranoid person and just thinking about what would happen if I was in that situation with my kids in the car frightens me and makes me angry about the type of people who prey on vacationing families. I hoped you enjoyed your trip to Myrtle Beach we plan on going in about two weeks.
    .-= Tabathia B´s last blog ..V-Tech MobiGo Smart Toy for kids Giveaways Galore =-.

9. says

I worry about Little Bit being strapped in and someone trying to take the car too. If it were just me in the car I would dive out of the driver’s door and let them take off with the car instead of driving them somewhere and risking my life… but with him strapped in his car seat I’d have to risk both our lives and hope the robber got out when we got where he wanted to go. I am so glad it ended without danger for you. That is terrifying.
    .-= Jeannette´s last blog ..Mamarazzi Monday June 21st =-.

10. says

People are just flat out insane. What in the world would make people think that its a good idea to rob people? I guess I am consequence driven…jail is not a good look for me. You won’t catch me trying to rob anyone anytime soon…

11. says

Holy Crap! I would be so terrified! That is like something right out of the movies. I’m so glad things turned out good. God mustof been watching over you and your family :)

12. says

Oh my gosh I’m so glad you guys are all okay. How scary! There really is something to be said about listening to your intuition that got you out of there safely.

I’m sorry this happened to you. :(

13. says

Yikes, that is scary.
    I am so aware of my surroundings, hubby not so.
    Visiting form the Tea Social on LBS.
    will leave my e mail address.

Pamela

14. says

Scary! I have never had anything like that happen to me. Glad you guys were ok.

Do you mind me asking where you stopped? I am taking a road trip with the kids (without my hubby) to VA and NC and never thought about stopping along the road.