A Terrifying Moment

by Tina @ Life Without Pink on June 23, 2010

Have you ever been in a situation before that scared you so bad you felt frozen inside?

Last week on our long drive {10 hours to be exact} to Myrtle Beach I had one of those experiences that literally shook me to my core.

Around 1am we made a quick pit stop so that I could use the restroom and my hubby could stretch his legs.

There weren’t too many rest stops left, so we took the first exit we saw that had a few gas stations and convenient stores. My parents were following us and we stopped in front of a little store that had a few cars and people inside.

Thinking we were in a pretty good area my dad and I ran into the store to use the restroom, which was located in the back of the store.

A few minutes later I was done and started to walk back through the store to the front door.

Out of the corner of my eyes, I could see a few shady looking guys and I got this awful sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I tried walking as quickly as I could without picking up my head to look around.  I instantly felt like something was not right.

As I approached the door, I saw a black souped up car with shiny new rims slowly pass the front of the store.

The guy in the passenger seat was leaning out the window with his head resting on his hands looking at us.

I have seen this scene before.

It was just like in the movies right before there was a shoot out or robbery.

I remember thinking to myself  “this is not happening” and “I need to get my family out of here now!”

I quickly made my way outside where my Dad was standing. Under my breath I said to him, “Get in the car. Let’s go now!”

My mom was standing by my car which was a few spaces over. I said the same thing to her and she looked frightened like she just saw a ghost.

One of the men, started walking in front of my car very slowly and was trying to gesture to my husband to come over.

As my mom walked over to her car, I remember silently praying, “Please let my mom make it to the car safely. Please God.”

I don’t think she was fully in the car when my Dad started to back up.

Thankfully we all made it out of there in one piece.

Once we were finally on the highway, my hubby had told me that when I went into the store, he had left the car running and walked around to the other side of the car to get a drink out of the cooler.

He said that is when he noticed the first “shady” looking guy walk in front of the car.

I know what that guy was thinking.

We were obviously traveling, had money on us and the car was running while no one was in the driver’s seat.

He probably was already mapping out how he was going to either take our car or rob us.

Luckily, my husband is very street smart and is always aware of his surroundings.

Instead of walking around the car, he got into the passenger seat, locked the doors and jump across to the driver’s seat.

The “shady” guy kept motioning to him to come over but my hubby never looked directly at him.

As we drove away, I was so disturbed and upset.

I kept thinking:

What if that man jumped into the car where my babies were strapped inside?

What if the other shady guys in the car opened fire?

What if someone attacked me while walking out of the door? Or attacked someone in my family?

Everything that could of gone wrong literally haunted me for the next few hours.

To this day, I thank God for keeping my family safe and getting us out of that situation unharmed.

To read more bloggers pouring their hearts out stop on over at Things I Can’t Say!

1 harmskills June 23, 2010 at 7:28 am

wow. that is scary!!!!!!!!!!! glad it had a happy ending. everyone was ok
.-= harmskills´s last blog ..Baby To Go… good eats! =-.

2 JenniferG of Hip As I Wanna Be June 23, 2010 at 7:29 am

That is so frightening! So happy that you made it out alive and well. Wow.
.-= JenniferG of Hip As I Wanna Be´s last blog ..Our First “Away” Soccer Tournament =-.

3 The Mommyologist June 23, 2010 at 7:31 am

That is just SO scary!!! I am so glad that you all got out of there ok. I would’ve been so freaked out. You can totally tell when people are up to no good. I’ve been in semi-similar situations before and it is so hard to get them out of your head!

4 Shell June 23, 2010 at 8:00 am

My heart was pounding as I read that. I’m always so worried that something like that will happen when we are traveling.

I’m glad that you were all okay.

And I’m so glad that you linked up. I’m traveling with 2 of my boys today and I need to remember to really pay attention.

5 This Mama Works It June 23, 2010 at 8:03 am

OMG I would be so freaked out as well. Thank God you are all safe. We ar driving to florida in a few weeks and I worry a lot about rest stops, etc.

6 Lindsay @ Just My Blog June 23, 2010 at 8:04 am

I got the chilly willies just reading that! I hate those kinds of situations where you’re just SURE something terrible is going to happen and even after it doesn’t, you can’t stop thinking about it. It’s a good thing your hubby made some wise choices and you were paying enough attention to get out safely.
.-= Lindsay @ Just My Blog´s last blog ..10 Reasons Why I Love My Husband =-.

7 Beth @ Laugh Until You Cry June 23, 2010 at 8:21 am

Wow, crazy. Scary! I’m glad everything turned out okay and you all had enough sense to get out of there. I just don’t understand why people have nothing better to do than be shady and sketchy and scare unsuspecting families like that.
.-= Beth @ Laugh Until You Cry´s last blog ..New England Bloggers Hippity Hoppity =-.

8 Brittney June 23, 2010 at 8:32 am

scary indeed! Ya know when we get those gut feelings about something I think thats Gods way of talking to us, He was there with you and your family and lead you out of harms way. :) Glad everything turned out alright
.-= Brittney´s last blog ..Dear Dad =-.

9 Evonne June 23, 2010 at 8:51 am

That’s the kind of situation I’m always afraid of, especially when traveling.

I’m so glad nothing happened to your or your family!
.-= Evonne´s last blog ..I Feel So Sexy =-.

10 Michelle @ Mommy Loves Stilettos June 23, 2010 at 9:43 am

OMG that is frightening! I would have been really upset as well.
.-= Michelle @ Mommy Loves Stilettos´s last blog ..♥Pour Your Heart Out – Brat Edition. =-.

11 Kisma June 23, 2010 at 9:57 am

That is frighting and one can never be to careful when taking long road trips. In all our travels back and forth from Texas to Colorado, I had a map in my head of all the “trusted” rest stops/ gas stations and even then it was still scary.

I am super glad nothing happened but truely understand the uneasy feeling it leaves.
.-= Kisma´s last blog ..Getting to Know You… =-.

12 Devan @ Accustomed Chaos June 23, 2010 at 10:21 am

Always listen to that instinct! good for you for listening and getting away from the situation ♥
.-= Devan @ Accustomed Chaos´s last blog ..Wordless: New Hair Transformation =-.

13 Jennifer Roberts June 23, 2010 at 10:23 am

That’s nuts and so glad you all drove away safe. I’ve had a few moments of “please help me god” and it’s no fun. you’ll never forget it but learn from it right?!

My heart was going a mile a minute. So glad I didn’t read anything bad!

14 Angel June 23, 2010 at 10:27 am

Wow I am so glad nothing bad did happen and you all were ok.. scary stuff right there
.-= Angel´s last blog ..What I meant to Say Wednesday with Brittany and I =-.

15 Danielle June 23, 2010 at 10:47 am

HOLY MOLY that is horrifying and I’m so impressed that you all stuck to your instincts and aborted that situation asap!:) Omg I was terrified just reading your blog.

16 Kristin @ Ellie-Town June 23, 2010 at 11:05 am

Wow. So scary. Good for your husband for thinking fast!
.-= Kristin @ Ellie-Town´s last blog ..Ice Cream Man! {wordless wednesday} =-.

17 cara mamma June 23, 2010 at 11:30 am

That is crazy! So glad nothing happened. wow….

18 Teresa Dawn June 23, 2010 at 11:30 am

That is scary. Good thing you are so aware of your surroundings.
.-= Teresa Dawn´s last blog ..Ruby Tuesday ~ June 22 =-.

19 Lesley June 23, 2010 at 11:36 am

Holy Cow…what an experience….Good for you for listening to your little voice…so many people don’t….and good for your hubby being street smart….it’s just crazy how you can’t let your guard down anywhere these days…
.-= Lesley´s last blog ..Summertime…..Summertime….Sum-Sum-Summertime =-.

20 Tiffany June 23, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Oh my goodness! I was gripping the keyboard while reading this. So glad that you all made it safely and that you were paying attention as well as your husband. Thank God!
.-= Tiffany´s last blog ..Pour Your Heart Out-15 Glasses =-.

21 heidi @ wonder woman wannabe June 23, 2010 at 1:24 pm

wow, Wow, WOW – and YIKES – that’s quite a story, glad you were able to share it in safety and in an alls well that ends well mode!

22 Tabathia B June 23, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Wow! I don’t even think I would stop at any store that late. I am a really, really cautious and paranoid person and just thinking about what would happen if I was in that situation with my kids in the car frightens me and makes me angry about the type of people who prey on vacationing families. I hoped you enjoyed your trip to Myrtle Beach we plan on going in about two weeks.
.-= Tabathia B´s last blog ..V-Tech MobiGo Smart Toy for kids Giveaways Galore =-.

23 Beth Zimmerman June 23, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Praise God for your safe and happy ending!
.-= Beth Zimmerman´s last blog ..Heather Wants to Know … =-.

24 Jeannette June 23, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I worry about Little Bit being strapped in and someone trying to take the car too. If it were just me in the car I would dive out of the driver’s door and let them take off with the car instead of driving them somewhere and risking my life… but with him strapped in his car seat I’d have to risk both our lives and hope the robber got out when we got where he wanted to go. I am so glad it ended without danger for you. That is terrifying.
.-= Jeannette´s last blog ..Mamarazzi Monday June 21st =-.

25 Karla Trotman June 23, 2010 at 3:38 pm

People are just flat out insane. What in the world would make people think that its a good idea to rob people? I guess I am consequence driven…jail is not a good look for me. You won’t catch me trying to rob anyone anytime soon…

26 Alisha June 23, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Omgosh! I’m so glad you guys are all right! That is scary!! Glad your discernment was triggered.

27 Tylaine June 23, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Holy Crap! I would be so terrified! That is like something right out of the movies. I’m so glad things turned out good. God mustof been watching over you and your family :)

28 cupcake mommie June 24, 2010 at 5:45 am

sorry this is late but you were featured here:
have a great day!!!

29 Nolie June 24, 2010 at 1:13 pm

How terrifying. Glad you all got out of there without anything happening.
.-= Nolie´s last blog ..Mommy and Son Blog Thieves – Guest Post =-.

30 Kristen @ Motherese June 24, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Whew, my heart was pounding reading your story. Thank goodness that you and your family were all okay. And thank goodness your senses went on high alert. Our animal instincts are strong when it comes to protecting the people we love, aren’t they?!
.-= Kristen @ Motherese´s last blog ..The Accidental Memoir Project =-.

31 B June 24, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Oh my gosh I’m so glad you guys are all okay. How scary! There really is something to be said about listening to your intuition that got you out of there safely.

I’m sorry this happened to you. :(

32 Coma Girl June 26, 2010 at 8:04 am

I got scared for you just reading this!

Thank goodness you guys (especially your husband) were smart enough to just get out of Dodge!

33 Pamela June 26, 2010 at 11:02 am

Yikes, that is scary.
I am so aware of my surroundings, hubby not so.
Visiting form the Tea Social on LBS.
will leave my e mail address.

Pamela

34 Michelle June 26, 2010 at 11:31 am

Scary! I have never had anything like that happen to me. Glad you guys were ok.

Do you mind me asking where you stopped? I am taking a road trip with the kids (without my hubby) to VA and NC and never thought about stopping along the road.