Menu Plan Monday

by Tina @ Life Without Pink on May 24, 2010

I have been doing pretty good at sitting down on Sunday nights and writing out a menu plan for the week. I know I have a few areas I really need to improve on.

For starters I need to start using coupons and checking the circular before writing my list.  I admit I get overwhelmed at times when it comes to the whole coupon thing. Literally it freaks me out at times!

Another problem? I never stick to my list. I am a total impulse buyer and that has to stop! I have been trying to make a point to stick to the items on my list…its hard but I am working on it.

I will get really excited when I only have a few items to buy. I think “Ok I’ll be quick and my bill should be pretty reasonable.”

Then I get to the check-out line and some how I manage to turn what should of been a $30 grocery bill into a $120 one! Yeah not so good.

So I am working on it. And when I make my list each week I try to take inventory on what’s in my pantry so that I am not over buying.

Here is my list for the week:

MONDAY: Turkey Black Bean Burgers w/garlic rosemary  roasted potatoes and green beans.

TUESDAY: For boys; pasta.  For me and hubby; salad w/roasted veggies and shrimp.

WEDNESDAY: Chicken-Bacon Stuffed Ranch Rolls w/salad

THURSDAY: Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes {its a baseball night so this is easy and something I know boys will eat}.

FRIDAY: Eat out

We have a few BBQs to attend this weekend so we will be doing lots of grilling!

Are you a menu planner? If so, what is your process for planning meals each week?

This post is linked to Mindful Menus and Menu Plan Monday.

1 Tracy R May 24, 2010 at 9:58 am

Hi! I do the samething with planning the menus every Sunday by looking at the circulars and plan what is on sale. I also use the sites hip2save.com ( deals for pharmacies stores, targets,etc.) and http://www.forthemommas.com/ (for supermarkets, etc.). They give you scenarios and what coupons to use for the best deals. Check them out. It is time consuming but does save you a ton of money. Good Luck:)

2 NGS May 24, 2010 at 11:38 am

Okay, I know the impulse shopping bug. It has been curbed in our house by online grocery shopping service. My husband and I write out a list based on menus, we go to our service (in the Twin Cities, we use Coborn’s Delivers), type in our requests, and someone delivers it to our house. We never go to the store. At first, I thought this was an awful idea, but we save tons of money (we don’t buy chips, fruit roll ups, or any other impulse items anymore) in the store, but we also don’t drive to get there (gas money), and we don’t have to go to the actual store (time). The prices are competitive and it has made our lives a lot better.

We don’t even have kids and this makes our lives so much easier. Our local grocery store always has long lines and a lack of staples (regularly out of onions and butter, for example), so this is a life saver. The small deliver fee more than pays for itself and I can usually find a coupon code online (probably about 50% of the time).

3 The Mommyologist May 24, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I try so hard to plan menus but just can’t seem to stick to it! I get to that particular day and realize I’m not in the mood for something and then it is just over. I’m really trying harder though to use up what we have and buy more stuff fresh…that should help!
.-= The Mommyologist´s last blog ..A Mom Sexy Appetizer =-.

4 Trina May 24, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Love your meal plan, we do the same in our house. I try and use up almost everything in the pantry, fridge and freezer so at times I have to become very creative! My favorite way to get new recipes is by looking at Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food…EASY recipes that the whole family will love.

5 Alicia May 24, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Love the title of your blog. And the menu sounds great!
Alicia
.-= Alicia´s last blog ..Bits from the Blogosphere Brain =-.

6 Shell May 24, 2010 at 5:10 pm

I do plan our meals, but I just make a list of them on the fridge and then decide that day what I’ll make- so I know what meals I have to pick from and can decide based on how the day goes and what we feel like eating.
.-= Shell´s last blog ..Custom Greeting Cards Giveaway =-.

7 Maricia May 24, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I do plan out my shopping based on the circular and coupons and what is on sale. but i have certain items i buy certain places instead of sticking to only one place. bjs/costco has certain items we use such as razors, face wash and cleaners and i wait until the item has a coupon in their circular and buy it whether i am out of it or not. i usually get 2 or 3 of the items for the price of one that way. trader joes is also a huge savings for non-perishable and frozen foods that are better for you ie: canned tomatoes, waffles, frozen pizzas, frozen organic veggies, oatmeal…even milk there is cheaper and milk can be frozen. meats, cheeses, yogurts etc, shop rite has a great offering of organic and all natural and is cheaper than acme. but i check both circulars, and again, even if i dont need the item immediately, if it can be frozen and is a good deal i get it anyway since i know it is something we like. after i check the circulars i go on-line and find coupons on the various manufacturers websites. i find that even if i dont have the exact meals planned out, having a well stocked pantry and items i know i use in most recipes on hand, the shopping for perishables that go into the meals is quick and easy.

8 Megan (Best of Fates) May 25, 2010 at 3:59 pm

I always want to plan out my weekly meals, but sadly I’m just too lazy!

p.s.~ Hope to see you in Philly at Bloggy Boot Camp!

9 Carrie May 27, 2010 at 1:49 am

Great idea about forward planning meals. We have the coupon clipping game down to an art form in our house but the menu thing is a great idea! Love your posts.